Giving Back his Wings

*Micah*

I watched him pace, little fists clenched, adorable face scrunched with frustration.

Why wouldn't he just let me take care of him? I needed to. To do some thing for him. It was beyond frustrating. He was drop dead gorgeous, not to mention smart, sweet, and well rounded. Why did he let people walk all over him?

And it wasn't just Gad either. There were plenty of others. He was even friends with one of them, Victor. The ass liked demeaning everyone around him, and they all let him do it! He called Emi a fat, stupid, hippo, Joy an anorexic bitch, Kit a freak, and Gabriel a transexual ass whore! Every time he mockingly called out 'Gay-briel', I just wanted to knock his lights out! And they invited him out everywhere they went anyway!

Why couldn't Gabriel see what I saw? Why couldn't he see himself the way I saw him?

"I'm not like you! I mean, come on, my dad choose you to be my replacement. Because he doesn't even trust me to take care of myself."

I paused for a moment, cursing that it seemed to confirm Gabriel's asinine suggestion. But what needed to be said, needed to be said carefully, so I needed that moment to think it through.

"How about you come into the office after school with me; let me show you the ropes. You can learn at your own pace and you won't have to be nervous cuz it'll be just me and you."

And, dear lord, won't that play hell with my self control.

"I'll show you how it works, acclimate you. And by the end of the year you should be able to prove to your father just how foolish he was not to believe in you."

His brow furled, undoubtably with undeserved guilt. My angel was too obsessively altruistic.

"In the mean time, the kids and I get free food and bord, even entertainment and education. I even get to finish high school. Then maybe once your the big boss man, you can throw a job my way. You know, out of pity." I elbowed him. Smiling at him beneficently, my heart breaking at the idea.

Part of me hoped he'd refuse, that he'd make the mistake of thinking 'homemaker' was an easier path in life. I hated myself in that moment. Hated myself for doing the right thing; giving my angel the chance to earn his freedom.

Because if Paxton Arel recognized his son for the genius he is...my existence would become unnecessary. I'd loose him.

And when Gabriel offered me that job, and he would because he was naive enough a man to feel so obligated. I hoped he'd be merciful enough to transfer me someplace far, far away. Because I'd have to take that job - what other prospects would I have - and I don't think I could stand working in the same building as the man I loved. The man I'd fallen for, hard and fast. The man I could never have. The man shinning through the boy sitting so indecisively next to me.

God damn you Micah! Was the sin of omission really worth the price of love?!

No, no it wasn't. But I'd done it anyway. Because I loved him too much not to let him go. And I'd very likely regret it for the rest of my life, and perhaps a bit beyond.