Flare

He was finally here! Flare could barely contain his excitement as he swooped in he entrance. Talons clattered on stone as students walked past, paying him no attention except for a dark blue Seawing who gave him a puzzled look. He stared in awe at the large, open space in front of him. There was a gong placed nearby, surrounded by brightly colored flowers and staglamites and stalactites that nearly touched each other.

Outside was beautiful, but honestly, he liked it better in here instead. Now he could achieve his goal: find Artemis. Setting off down one of the bright tunnels, he immediately began to regret not asking for a map first. Where was he? He had made it past quite a few tunnels with weird, different colored glowing globes of some sort. And small caves with what looked like sleeping platforms. Now, Flare was traveling down a sloping tunnel, filled with branches at the top with tiny flowers shoved inside to give it a cheery look.

As soon as he poked his head inside, he was struck by how loud it was in here. Sheep and cows gave baleful bleats and moos as dragons snatched them up in their talons. A group of Seawings had their head's stuffed in a pile of silvery fish. One Nightwing plucked a duck from the ground, twirled it in his talons, and promptly bit it's head off.

"Yuck." Flare wrinkled his snout, fully stepping inside. A few of the quieter dragons nudged their loud friends, pointing at Flare with wide eyes. About two Skywings dropped what they had and dipped their heads at Flare, giving him a crawling sensation down his spine.

Soon the whole area quieted down, except for a few oblivious Rainwings that contentedly munched on their fruit. All eyes were laid on Flare as they waited to hear what he was going to say.

"Gosh, these guys give me the creeps." He thought, lowering his head. "Well, here goes nothing. I might look like an idiot but oh well."

"Uh." He cleared his throat, his eyes wandering the mess of wings and tails. "Has anybody seen a dragonet named Artemis?" He called, hoping for her to suddenly barge out of the group, wings wide and smiling as she embraced him. Wait- why was he hoping for that? She was a stranger. Nothing more.

A few dragons muttered inaudibly as a dark shape squeezed past. One thing he noticed right away, she was a Nightwing. Sure, he had wondered what type of dragon Artemis really was, but a Nightwing? They seemed the most un-trustable and sly of all the tribes. A sickening twist in his stomach sent his excitement reeling.

"Oh.."

This dragonet looked nearly his age. Tall, a little thin, with dark blue scales that were almost black. A ragged scar ran down her back scales. The silver scales on her neck, tail and underwings were dim, like they sucked light in instead of projecting it. She had black horns, and grey scales around her steely blue eyes. Steely blue.. It couldn't possibly be Artemis. Then who was she?

"What do you want with my sister?" The Nightwing snapped loudly, narrowing her eyes at him like she was assessing how to take him down. Flare winced at the harshness of her voice.

"She's going to cause a scene!" Half thinking, he grabbed her forearm and dragged her out of the cave.

"Hey!" She yelped, flapping her wings as if it'd stop Flare.

"Nope." He thought, immediately turning around the bend and letting go of Artemis's sister, making her hiss in anger.

"Who the heck do you think you are and what do you want with my sister?" She said boldly. Something told Flare she didn't like Skywings very much.

"Look." He held up his talons. "I won't cause you any harm, okay? I'm Flare. And.." He wasn't really sure what to say next. 'I'm in love with your sister even though I don't even know her and I really want to' or, 'I just wanted to catch up  with Artemis since we didn't have much time to talk as she and a prisoner escaped my sister's gladiator arena'. Both options seemed out of the question. "I know Artemis." He finished lamely.

The Nightwing stared at him for a long moment, her mouth opening and closing as if she was going to say something. But surprisingly, she held out her paw instead. "Prophecyteller." She said, her scowl relaxing as Flare shook her paw. "Artemis told me about you.." Prophecyteller mumbled. "Sorry I went all on defense like that. I haven't had a.. Particularly good wing with your tribe."

"That explains it." He thought. "Nice to meet you." Flare nodded curtly.

Prophecyteller settled her wings back, staring intently at Flare. "Now.. Again..Why are you looking for Artemis?"

Now it was Flare's turn to gawk.

Prophecyteller's eyes suddenly lit up like someone had bitten her tail. "Are you in love with her?" She exclaimed a little too loudly, and Flare immediately flapped his wings in outrage.

"No?" He growled, his answer more of a question.

Prophecyteller's look told him otherwise.

"Okay." The prince rolled his eyes. "L-let's just say.. I'm in..like. Look, I barely even know her and-"

Prophecyteller clasped her talons together with an excited squeal. "You came to find her and tell her how you feel!"

Flare smacked a talon to his forehead, his cheeks turning a darker shade of red. "No." He growled again, flustered. "I just said I barely even know her. I only knew her as Melt but obviously that was a lie."

Prophecyteller frowned at him, now drifting from her excited burst. "Oh." She looked at the ground. "I remember when that happened." Her wings shivered. "It was so weird. Seeing her change from one tribe to another."

Flare's eyes glinted, and his thoughts whirled him fiercely from his misery. "That doesn't matter anyway. I have to find her. Do you know where she might be?"

Prophecyteller gave him a look that was almost sympathetic. "I'm sorry, Flare. But..Artemis is gone."

Gone.
Gone.
Gone. That's what rang in his head. The wrenching heartbreak that hammered in his chest confused him more than anything.

"I barely knew her." He thought, but deep down he could guess otherwise. Maybe he didn't know her whole life story, but he'd known her long enough to be sure, whether Melt or Artemis her heart and personality was the same. But..He wanted to know more. After all these nights, wondering and dreaming and hoping about her he should have given up now. But he didn't. That was good enough for him.

"Where did she go?" Flare whispers, his wings drooping like they'd been covered with heavy chains.

Prophecyteller shook her head and sighed, urging Flare a little closer.

"The Twin Islands." She said, wringing her talons. "She's part of..A prophecy, okay? That's where she had to go." She paused. "I'm sorry, Flare. But until her job is done she isn't coming back."

Flare stared at the ground, his mind whirling. "Seems like I'll keep chasing you, mysterious dragonet. But I will find you, Artemis, no matter what it takes. You said you'd be here. You aren't. But that's okay. Knowing I'll truly be able to see you at the end of the journey is worthwhile."

"Alright." Flare stood and straightened his posture, staring Artemis's sister with determination in his eyes. "Now how do I get there?"