Apollo

The battle was upon them.

Dragons of all tribes rushed around him, hurrying, barking orders, collecting supplies, attaching armor. He watched as a mother lovingly embraced her dragonets, the youngest, who only seemed to be a few moons, tapped at the spikes on her armor.

He had never experienced a war before himself, and ended up losing Catastrophe in one, who he still believed to be his father... Perhaps not by blood, but he earned the title. Apollo wondered if he'd survive this. Not only that, but he had recently learned of his relation to Artemis, too! He was fraught with worry for the purple dragoness.

"Apollo." She spoke up, suddenly appearing beside him like she'd read his mind. An intense silver helmet covered most of her face, a star was etched into the center. Interlocking silver plates cascaded down her neck, and she had a similar breastplate. Her necklace was tucked inside. She gave him a concerned gaze, her eyes a milky, pale blue. "You can get through this. We all can." She seemed to be reassuring herself as well, but Apollo didn't comment on that.

"How are things?" He asked her, and she sighed.

"The queens are preparing to lead their soldiers. Flare is with them, Geode, Daybreak and Archangel at the highest peak. Everyone is just waiting for their cue."

"Let's hope luck is on our side."

~~~

Geode's voice echoed over the territory. Every tree, stone, and grain of sand seemed to shift at his tone.

"We may be facing the biggest battle yet since the War of the Islands. Back then, we only had one foe. Now we stand against many. Solar has fighters that have no doubt trained for moments like this their entire lives, like you all have."

Apollo's heart ached in anticipation and fear.

"But we will persevere, like we always have. We are built on perseverance. We rogues will survive, and live to see another day. Solar's reign will come to an end for good. I wish you the best of luck and strength for our coming fight. I will see you on the battlefield." Geode extended his wing, the blue membrane sparkling in the sun.

Voices stirred, soft murmurs, uncertain whispers. Apollo looked around him, and at the faces of newfound friends. Artemis looked sad, but determined. Tempest was close to tears. Potent's face was like stone carving. Only his eyes showed a bit of fear. Snowfall looked anguished, and Seaglass was nervous, but attempted a brave face. His mouth quivered. Mamba's brows were furrowed, and she looked ferocious and beautiful. Mudpuddle was quiet, and resigned, like she was savoring the moments of peace she had.

He found himself murmuring a quiet thank you to whatever was out there, for bringing them together. Apollo glanced at the dying sun on the horizon.

"Rogues." Daybreak exclaimed from Geode's side, his elegant tail lashing beside him. "We will break into halves. Fighters with the most firepower, fly with me. The fastest will go with Archangel and Geode." Almost instantly, hundreds of dragons took to the sky. It was an impressive sight. "The rest of you, follow your queens! We will take the fight to Solar. Now, to the portals!"

The Magicwings on the island had been working hard, and had apparently made a giant, secret portal at the center of the island. It was buried deep underground, and could be activated above with the right words. Geode had briefly gone over it with him, and explained that it lead to the outskirts of the Day Kingdom.

Apollo had an unsettling feeling in his gut. He couldn't help but think things were about to go horribly wrong. Suddenly, not far in the distance, a brilliant swirling portal appeared. Crystals seemed to float in place, making a teardrop shaped vortex for the dragons to fly into.