Mudpuddle

"This sucks." Mudpuddle says, the dark brown Mudwing winging around to check the dark spaces again. The mountains of the Crystal Kingdom glitter brilliantly, casting golden rays upon the clouds and giving them a pale yellow look, adding to the overall appeal of the place. The sun sat comfortably in the middle of the sky, though positioned as if it was staring down at the dragonesses with disdain.

But, looks are one thing. It was getting tiring trying to find the same entrance to the heart of the Crystalwings they had reached before. Mamba looks up as Mudpuddle thinks this, frowning and letting frustrated colors envelop the dark garnet look she had before. A miniature flag with the Desert Rogue insignia was wrapped tightly around her left horn, as it would aid in showing Queen Diamond that they were here on account of the Rogues.

"Yeah it, does." The Rainwing says with a sigh, flaring the frill around her neck as she swoops around another spire of mountain to search for the entrance. They were going to be here for quite a bit.

~~~~
"Mudpuddle!" A voice jars her from her dazed state, Mudpuddle looking up and blinking into gold eyes. She had been hovering for a few minutes, though her wing movement was becoming jerky and uneven as she grew more tired. "Three moons, I think I found a different entrance." Says Mamba, excited gold colors swirling around her spine and wingtips.

Adrenaline seemed to find its way back into her veins. "Show me."

The Rainwing ended up leading her to a small, more secluded cave. Thin strands of dark odd crystals hung over it. It made it seem like Mudpuddle was looking at a mirage, because each time the wind blew through them they shimmered and changed colors, completely hiding it.

"It's worth a shot." She says to her friend when they were done marveling over the sheer luck of finding it.

Mamba nodded, and quietly slid inside. Mudpuddle followed soon after, the crystals brushing against her ears and tickling her nose. The first thing she noticed was that it was quite dark inside, so she blew a small spurt of fire in front of her . Mamba sidestepped with a hiss, the Mudwing realizing her mistake and quickly apologizing.

"Sorry, sorry." She said quietly, watching as the Rainwing disappeared in a swirl of black and dark brown, now the only sign of her being there was her bright eyes. But gradually, small dots of red appeared along the edge of her wing, oddly bright. Ah, it was so she wouldn't lose her.

"Try and stay close." Whispered Mamba, the rest of her vanishing completely. It was weird, to Mudpuddle. Where her friend once stood was just seven small, floating dots.

"Alright." She responds, pinning her eyes on the dots and following carefully.

They walked for quite a ways until they found the bodies.

Mudpuddle knew something was wrong when Mamba shrieked, and reared up in a dizzying swirl of green, red and white. Then the smell hit her. She gagged, backing up to clasp her talons over her snout, attempting to block out the horrible stench of decay.

"Three moons." Mamba gasped, turning around to reveal frightened eyes full of tears. With one wing around her friend, Mudpuddle peers over the Rainwings shoulder. Carefully, she blasts another stream of fire to light up the room.

Two Crystalwings lay sprawled out in the center. One was a dark forest green, her gemstones and wings sparkling with a bright amber brown and gold. Brown eyes wide, all the light in them destroyed. Her brilliant scales matted with deep scarlet blood, throat torn and a dagger through her heart. Mudpuddle looked over the gruesome mess, trying her hardest not to throw up.

Another burst of fire cast light over the second body. Another female, with oddly banded, coral colored scales. Dark purple, pale brown, white, tan and dark red were among many colors found in her gemstones, though once again that was all ruined by the sheer amount of blood.