Chapter Seven

Don't hit her, Josie. She doesn't know what she's saying right now. The inevitable paperwork and probable jail time is definitely not worth it.

Jo's pep talk to herself calmed her down a bit. She watched wearily as Tina raced out the door, Frankie on her heels, yelling and cursing and even shaking her fist.

Addie watched dejectedly from her position next to Jo. With a heavy sigh, she turned to say to Jo, "I'm really sorry about Tina. I don't know what's gotten into her."

It was two in the afternoon. Tina was high-tailing it not only because she had to go to her job that started at three thirty, but because Jo had kicked her out.

Two hours earlier, when the girls had all awoken and Ricky was fed the Mac 'n' Cheese, Tina had brought up Cyrene's disappearance and the obvious lack of a male figure in the house.

Jo had been shocked at Tina's blatant words. Tina had accused her father of running out on her and Ricky because of the way her mother treated them. The girls had discovered Cyrene was normally gone all the time and that she left Jo in charge. Tina had scoffed and said, "No wonder your old man ran off. He obviously took all your money, too. Look at this place," she said with a sweep of her hand. The girls' eyes fell on a weeks worth of dirty dishes, dirty laundry everywhere and a messy living room.

Jo had dismissed it. She knew Tina had received a message from Eli saying he was going out with Claire on the day they were supposed to see a movie. She forgave Tina's outburst.

Later, as the girls sat around playing Truth or Dare, Jo picked to answer truthfully to Tina's   question.

"Is your mom abandoning you like your father did? I bet she's out whoring around, too. I mean she clearly has in the past. Ricky is what, sixteen years younger than you?"

Jo had recoiled as though Tina had slapped her. She gave Tina a steely look and growled for her to get out. Tina had accused her of rudeness and called her a bitch. The girls elevated to shouting, causing Ricky to burst into tears at the noise level. That was the last straw for Frankie. She jumped up and chased Tina out of the house.

Jo felt Addie's hand on her elbow, breaking her out of her thoughts. Jo looked at her, into her chocolate eyes, and sighed.

"She doesn't know what she's saying, Jo. She's really sorry. She's in a bad mood because of Eli and Claire," Addie defended her friend. Jo yanked her arm away and exhaled slowly.

"Is that an excuse? If that's her excuse for her behavior then she's a pathetic human being."

Addie flinched back at Jo's harsh tone. Frankie ran back into the house then, slamming the door shut behind her. Her cheeks were flushed a deep crimson from all her running and shouting.

"I can't believe her! The audacity! She's sorry, though. She'd have never said that if it wasn't for Eli and Claire-"

"Not now, Frankie," Jo muttered. She ran a hand through her loose, black tendrils. "I think it's time you girls got going."

Addie and Frankie nodded silently and moved to collect their belongings. On their way out, Addie called back over her shoulder.

"She's going through a tough time right now," Addie made the excuse for Tina . "She didn't mean it."

"We're all going through a tough time, Addie. But that doesn't give her the right to treat me like shit and make assumptions about something she knows absolutely nothing about," Jo snapped. Addie nodded sadly, understanding Jo's point of view. Without another word, Frankie shut the door behind her as she followed her best friend.

One car started, carrying two girls away, leaving Jo in silence.

"JoJo?"

"Yes, little man?"

"Kee?"

"I'm sorry, Ricky. Frankie had to go. But we can make our own fun," she added, seeing his sad expression. Ricky furrowed his brow but hurried back to his discarded toys all the same.

Jo sighed and slumped down into the sofa. She shut her eyes and rubbed her face roughly with her hands. She was surprised to feel wetness, tears. She quickly swiped at the traitorous tears and sniffed loudly. She collected herself before decided on a long overdue nap.

***

Ding dong ding dong... Ding dong ding dong...

Jo set the paper plates down on the counter and stuffed the money in her back pocket. She went to open the door, not surprised to see Ricky already waiting there.

Jo opened the door. She smiled at the boyish blonde mop and sparkling blue eyes that greeted her.

"Well, this is a nice surprise. Come on in, Ryan."

Ryan gave her a lopsided grin and stepped over the threshold. The smell of cheese pizza permeated through the house. Jo slammed the door shut quickly, not giving the cool air a chance to sneak its way inside. A few days ago it had been boiling outside. Now, it felt like the middle of January.

"Damn weather," Jo muttered under her breath. Ryan laughed at her words.

"Yeah, that's Ohio weather for you. Summer one day, winter the next. Anyways, that'll be seven eighty two, JoJo." Jo rolled her eyes and motioned for Ryan to follow her into the kitchen.

"Ricky!" Jo called out to him, "Pizza's here!"

"Zaa!" Ricky came speeding into the kitchen from the living room. Ryan grinned at the little guy. "Hey there, Ricky."

Ricky skidded to a stop at looked up at Ryan with a look of wonder and confusion.

"Ricky, you remember Ryan, right?" Ricky's face lit up with recognition and he held out his hands to the blonde boy.

"Zaa!" Ricky shouted. Jo shook her head, trying to correct Ricky, but he kept shouting "Zaa" over and over. Ryan finally stopped Jo, chuckling, saying it was okay. He dipped down to pick up the toddler and awkwardly held him against his side.

"So, I wasn't expecting you to deliver again," Jo started. Ryan nodded.

"Yeah, I work weekends. Friday through Sunday. But actually, when I heard an order for one Miss Jo Hall, I asked to take it," Ryan confessed.

"Aww, you came to see lil' ole me?"Jo placed a hand over her heart and batted her lashes at him jokingly. Ryan cask her a crooked grin and shook his head.

"Of course! Wouldn't miss a chance to see my JoJo." He poked her side, making Jo slide away. Ricky squirmed in Ryan's grasp, asking silently to be released. Ryan complied and Ricky ran over to Jo, who was dishing out pizza on a paper plate for him. She cut up the pizza into little, bite sized pieces and placed Ricky in his high chair. Ricky greedily stuffed his face with the mass of cheese.

"When do you get off?" Jo inquired. She offered him a piece but he turned it down. Jo shrugged and helped herself.

"I get off at eleven thirty. Why?"

Jo hesitated. She swallowed her mouthful carefully before answering. "Uh, no reason. Curiosity, I guess. And if you don't have anything better to do, you could hang here for a bit," she cautiously suggested. She glanced around the kitchen, trying to look everywhere except Ryan.

"Maybe I'll stop by, JoJo. I gotta go, though. Enjoy." Ryan waved over his shoulder as he strutted out the door. Jo called a goodbye to his back. She saw her phone on the counter and slid it into her back pocket. She felt some resistance and it dawned on her that this time, she really did forget to give him his money.

*~*~*~*~*

Kind of a shorter chapter. Don't worry! There's plenty more to come. Besides, a little Jo-Ryan action was needed.

Please, I'd love to hear from you. Comment and maybe vote, too. Every little bit is appreciated!

Always,
L