Chapter Twenty-Eight

Jo woke up rather abruptly when Cyrene landed a kick to her thigh. Jo blinked a few times and rubbed the thick sleep from her eyes. She groaned as another sharp kick connected with her thigh. As Jo got her bearings of her surroundings, she remembered what had happened the previous night. Ricky was no where to be seen. 

"What do you want?" Jo said. She reached out and grabbed the ankle of the foot that was coming her way again. Cyrene wobbled, off balanced by Jo, and yanked her ankle free. 

"You have someone at the door who says they need to speak to you right now," Cyrene said stiffly, her arms crossed over her chest. Jo glanced up and was surprised she was dressed like a normal human being. Cyrene noticed her quizzical stare and huffed, trying to cover up her sweats and baggy sweatshirt. 

"The club is closed today for renovations. I'm wearing these hideous clothes while I wash everything I own today. Don't expect this to last." With that, she stormed into her room and slammed the door shut behind her. Jo groaned and forced herself to sit up. After sleeping upright, her neck, back, and butt were incredibly sore. Jo wandered towards the door, eager to speak to Scarlett who had promised to come over for "after-dance schmoozing" as she called it. 

Jo took a glance at the microwave in the kitchen and was surprised to see that it was already two in the afternoon. She had slept over twelve hours. Unfortunately, she didn't feel rested one bit. Jo stopped in front of the door and reached out to open it. She mentally slapped herself as she realized she was still wearing her costume and makeup from last night. No doubt she'd have tear streaks. Cursing at her own stupidity, Jo opened the door to reveal the last person she expected to see. 

"Zach? What the hell are you doing here?" 

Zach Michaels inspected the woman standing before him. Her usually straight and shiny hair was up in a pony and very rumpled. She was wearing what appeared to be a wrinkled tiger outfit, complete with a bent tail. Her makeup was streaked and bleeding together in a yucky brown color. All in all, she looked hideous and like she had experienced a rough night. 

Zach didn't say anything and Jo was starting to become frustrated. 

"Yeah, I look like a train wreck, move on. What do you want?" She asked him again. This time, Zach answered.

"Is what Greyson saying true?" His tone was clipped and hoarse, like he'd been yelling for a long time recently. 

Jo furrowed her brow and leaned against the door jamb. Her head was starting to pound. 

"I really don't have time for this, Zach," She managed to croak out. She really did not want to go through what she had with Greyson. 

"I just-" his voice cracked, "I just want to understand why."

"Why what? Why I didn't tell you before or why I did it?"

Zach hadn't thought about that. "Both, I guess," he said after a moment's hesitation. 

Jo sighed and closed her eyes, feeling the crisp November air around her. It was cool today, warmer than it had been. Jacket weather, if you will. 

"I don't know why I did it. I just couldn't stand there any longer. I didn't tell you because I didn't know it was you until that night you told me about your sister. And then I just couldn't. You were so angry at that girl for running, I was scared to tell you. I never planned to tell anyone. It slipped out on accident."

Zach took a moment to digest what she was saying. Jo opened her eyes when he didn't respond. He was staring furiously down at the cement step beneath him. Jo could feel the tension and anger radiating off of him. When he threw a punch, she was ready.