Chapter Ten

It was snowing. It was October and it was snowing as though it was the middle of December. Apparently, Mother Earth didn't get the memo that it was still technically autumn. Or maybe she just didn't care.

The rave was coming up soon and was - obviously - going to be Halloween themed. The dance was being decided by the cheerleaders; costumes were required or you couldn't get through the door. Since the announcement was made over the PA system informing the student body it would be a costume dance that morning, it was all the student body could talk about. Jo was quickly learning this was the school's second biggest dance, next to prom, of course.

"I'm thinking a witch. Or maybe a cat. Is that too cliché?" Addie was asking Frankie that day at lunch. Jo resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She really wasn't interested. She wasn't even going; she had to work that night. Cosmo had called her and informed her that her schedule had changed since one of the girls had quit. She was to start next week instead of two weeks from that previous Monday. Jo didn't really care, but she had enjoyed the look of pure hate on Cyrene's face when Jo had informed her she would have to take care of Ricky every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and every weekend.

"I dunno. Maybe just a little," Frankie told Addie. Addie nodded, contemplating her other options.

"What are you going as?" Frankie directed her question at Luke. Luke grinned, catching Jo off guard.

"Magic Mike," he declared proudly. Jo chuckled while Addie and Frankie had identical looks of horror plastered across their faces.

"Luke! You can't go as a male stripper!" Addie chided him. Luke merely shrugged, his cheeky grin never faltering.

"Why can't I? Besides, I'll just wear low pants and an open button down. I'm not going naked, Ad," Luke rolled his eyes. Jo stifled her laughter.

"Don't forget to wear a tie, Mikey," Jo reminded him. Luke cast her a smirk and nodded.

"I won't."

"Ew, gross. Anyways, maybe Jeremy and I should go as a couple? You know, those cheesy ketchup and mustard costumes or something," Addie contemplated. Frankie nodded happily.

"Oooo! That would be soooo cute!" she squealed. "Edward and Bella! You guys could be Edward and Bella! Oh, what about Beauty and the Beast? He's certainly a beast," Frankie giggled.

Jo raised an eyebrow at the girls antics. She shook her head and tuned out the girlish squeals.

"Ahem," Claire cleared her voice. The entire table hushed and turned to face her and Eli, who looked like he wanted to shove the piece of pizza he was holding down her throat.

"Eli and I are going as Anna and Kristoff. You know, from Frozen?" Claire latched onto Eli's arm and he immediately reddened. Tina, still seated next to Addie, huffed loudly.

"Are you sure that's what Eli wants to do?"

"Of course! He wants what I want, don't you, Babe?" Claire nuzzled into his neck and kissed the sensitive flesh there. Eli flinched but he didn't lean away. Tina huffed again and flipped her light brown hair over her shoulder.

Jo rolled her eyes. The constant drama between the new couple and Tina was ridiculous. Claire had announced their renewed love that Wednesday and Tina had stormed out of the cafeteria. Jo was starting to think there was more to the story than Tina wanting Eli for herself.

"Jo, what are you going as?" Addie asked her. The tension at the table had died down while Jo had been occupied with her thoughts.

"Nothing," Jo answered. Addie furrowed her brow.