Chapter Fourteen

"What's her name?" Cyrene asked as she applied a thick layer of blush to her tanned cheeks. Jo watched her warily, unfamiliar with the make up. For once, she decided she was going to wear some; for Ricky's sake.

"Toshelle Ellis. She's going to be here in a few minutes. Could you at least wear something decent?" Jo said through clenched teeth. Cyrene dropped her gaze down to her attire. She was wearing a black lace thong with a matching black bra, complete with red bows.

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" she giggled.

"You're not wearing anything! That's what's wrong."

"I think I look adorable!"

"Toshelle won't think you look adorable. I don't think you look adorable. Put something on, Jesus Christ, Cyrene."

Three low chimes reverberated throughout the house. The walls creaked with the sudden silence. Suddenly, footsteps could be heard racing towards the door. Ricky acted more like a dog than was good for his well-being.

"That'll be Toshelle. Put something on," Jo warned Cyrene. Cyrene muttered a, "Yeah, yeah," and shooed Jo out of her room.

Jo speed-walked down the hallway to answer the door. The doorbell rang again, signalling Toshelle's impatience.

"Coming!" Jo shouted. When she reached the door, she tugged Ricky's grip off the door knob and flung the door wide open. There in the doorway, stood an enormous black woman. Jo had never seen someone so black and she was from Tennessee. The woman weighed at least two fifty and she wore the brightest colors imaginable.

"Well, is you gunna stare all day or is you gunna let me in?" Toshelle demanded. Jo cracked a smile and moved aside to let the woman in. Toshelle barely managed to squeeze passed the door frame.

Inside, Toshelle took to scoping out the house. She snooped around and picked up anything that took her fancy. When she was satisfied with the house she asked, "Now where's this poh' baby Imma be sittin'?"

Ricky, who had been hiding behind Jo's legs, peeked around at Jo's insistence. He looked up at the huge woman who looked down at him with a soft smile.

"Hi there, sweethear'! What's yer name?" Her voice changed completely, softening up at the sight of the child. Ricky, gaining confidence, moved out from behind Jo's legs. He proudly puffed out his little chest and informed the woman his name was "Icky".

"His name is Ricky, Ms. Ellis," Jo said for him. Toshelle glanced up at Jo and sent her a hard look with her black eyes.

"What did I tell you abou' callin' me dat? My name Toshelle and don' you go callin' me no Ms. Ellis!" Jo nodded and tried to hide her smile.

"Now, where's the mama?" Toshelle asked as she straightened up. She squared her shoulders, ready to face Cyrene.

"I'm right here," came a cool voice. Everyone turned to look at the woman behind Toshelle. Jo was glad to see she had put on clothes. She was wearing a short, black lace dress, but at least it covered her.

"What are you doing in my house?" Cyrene demanded.

"I'm the sitter," Toshelle growled. Jo had a feeling this could get ugly.

"I didn't hire a sitter. Especially a black one," Cyrene spit at the large black woman. Cyrene took a moment to rake her eyes up and down Toshelle's length. Despite her extra weight, Toshelle was still a good six feet three inches tall. Cyrene didn't stand a chance if those ladies took to fighting.

"No, I don' think ya did. Your sweet girl here did. Ain' you gots somewhere ta be?" Toshelle eyed the amazon woman with disgust. Jo had told her about Cyrene's job as a stripper. Cyrene sneered at the woman. Fortunately, she did have somewhere to be. Without so much as a word, Cyrene scooped up the red clutch purse and stormed out.