Chapter Twenty-Two

"If I were to ask you a question, would you answer?"

"What kinda question?"

"Would you kiss Greyson for twenty bucks?"

Jo didn't even hesitate. "No."

Scarlett sighed and threw herself down on Jo's pillow. "I can't help it. He's just so cute."

"Oh come on, Scar!" Jo held up the Bridget suit. "What about this one?"

Scarlett perked up at the option. "Jo, you can't wear a suit on a date. That's what he's going to be wearing."

Jo sighed but she had to agree. She tossed the suit onto the steadily growing pile of rejected outfits. "I can't believe you like Greyson. He's such an ass." Jo's muffled voice came from inside her closet.

Scarlett sat up in indignation. "I don't like him! But I'd kiss him if the opportunity arose."

Jo cast her friend a look. "You'd cheat on Spook for one kiss?"

"One cannot back down from a dare," Scarlett sniffed. Jo chuckled and shook her head. She took a glance into her nearly empty wardrobe and threw her hands up in defeat.

"It's no use. I don't have anything worth wearing to this date tonight. Apparently, nothing is swanky enough." Jo sent a glare at Scarlett who just shrugged her shoulders.

"I can't help that you have a casual taste in clothing. I'm way taller than you so my clothes are out. Do you have like, a tiny aunt?"

Jo thought about her father's sister a few towns over. There was no way she'd be going over there. Jo sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"I'm just not going to go. I'll tell him I'm sick or something."

"No!" Scarlett said firmly. "You're going. No one cancels on a date with Zach Michaels, Jo. Hey... What about your stepmom? She's your size."

Jo stared at Scarlett for a moment. "No way. Absolutely not. Besides, she's taller than me, too."

"Why not! Have you seen how short her clothes are?" Scarlett whined.

"Just... No."

"Can we at least peek? See if just maybe you like something?"

Jo relented and she led Scarlett down the hall to Cyrene's room. Jo hesitated before she stepped into the room. Memories flooded her and she held in a cringe. Ignoring all her warning bells, Jo stepped over to the enormous walk in closet.

Scarlett took one step inside and squealed. "Oh my god, Jo! Look at all this stuff!" She checked a tag and her eyes widened. "Jo! This shit is designer!"

Jo merely shrugged.

Scarlett immediately had six dresses over her arm and she thrust them at Jo. "Try these on," she ordered. Jo sighed and did as she was told.

Scarlett had picked out six rather beautiful dresses. Unfortunately, Jo had seen most of them put to work. Jo slithered the first of the bunch up her body. It was an elaborate, shimmering gold color. The bodice was tight fitting and Jo wondered how Cyrene managed to wiggle into something a few sizes too small. But then again, maybe that was the point.

Jo stepped out of the closet to where Scarlett was waiting on the bed. Jo tried not to flinch at the sight of her best friend sitting on those sheets.

"Well?" Jo held her arms away from her body and did a little spin for Scarlett to get the whole effect. When she completed her turn, she saw Scarlett with a thoughtful expression.