Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Dad, come on! We're gunna be late!" Josie smiled and dragged her father by his hand out the door. It was his birthday and Josie insisted on doing their special birthday dinner. On their own, Josie and her father had gone out to celebrate dinner at the fanciest, swankiest, most expensive place they could find every year since the death of Josie's mother.

"I'm coming, Josie. Let me say goodbye to-" John Hall tried to say.

"No time, Dad! The reservation is going to cancel if we aren't there in half an hour!"

John relented to his aggressive daughter and shouted over his shoulder at his new wife, "Bye, Sweetie! We'll be back in a few hours! I love you!" There was no answer from the house. Josie knew Cyrene was furious that John had relented to his daughter and not her to go to dinner, just the two of them, leaving her alone at home with her baby boy. 

"DAAAD!" Josie tugged him into the car. She proudly jumped into the driver seat and buckled herself in. Last year, she hadn't been confident enough to drive her father just down the road. This year, she was driving them to the restaurant a few towns north. 

"The keys, old man," Josie joked. Her father chuckled and handed over the keys to his car. Josie started up the car and they were on their way. She sighed, content to finally have her father alone for the first time since the wedding. Unfortunately, her peace didn't last long. 

"I'm happy to be doing this but I don't understand why it has to be just us. We're a family now, Josie, and Cyrene and Patrick are a part of that family." Josie's father had never been a loud or brash man; his tone was soft, more inquisitive that it was accusing.

"It's always been just us, Dad. I just wanted it to be like old times," Josie tried. She didn't want to ruin the mood. 

"I'm sorry, Josie. You know I love spending time with you, but I'm scared that it's starting to make Cyrene feel unwelcome. She doesn't think you like her very much."

"Well, did it ever occur to you that I'm starting to feel unwelcome in this family?  That, Cyrene," Josie spat, "has practically taken over this family. I don't like her, Dad."

"Now, Josie-gal-"

"No, Dad! I'm not a little sprout no more! I'm seventeen, soon to be eighteen, a legal adult. Why can't you see that?"

"Josie," her father said quietly, "believe me, I know. You think I haven't noticed how big you've gotten? How old, mature, and beautiful? I'm so damn proud of you, Josie, but you're always gunna be my li'l Josie-gal." John Hall patted his daughter's knee. She resisted the urge to jerk away from him, not wanting to swerve the car. 

"Whatever," she gave up. There was just no use in arguing with a father. The pair rode in silence for period of time before John brought back the touchy subject.

"Josie, you need to start getting along better with Cyrene. She really is making an effort to be a good mom to you."

"What? That stripper will never be my mom! What do you mean making an effort?"

"She's been complaining about how you don't appreciate her enough. She's done a lot for you and I don't think she's wrong to want a little thanks in return."

"Thanks, Serenity. These little girl shoes are wonderful. I'm glad I'm eleven and in love with them," Josie muttered, sarcasm dripping. 

"Jo," her father said in a stern tone. "Don't call her Serenity. Her name is Cyrene."

"No, Dad, her name is Serenity. She's a STRIPPER at a STRIP CLUB and she dances for a living. She lets men shove bills in her ass crack."

"Language, Josephine!  I will not tolerate such language."