Chapter Sixteen

It was one week before the much anticipated costume rave. Mother Nature seemed to have gotten the memo that it was fall. A crisp wind blew constantly, whipping the loose stands of Jo's hair about her face. A few strands stuck to her chapstick-ed lips. Annoyed, she used a finger to pull the stands off before answering Frankie.

"Frankie, I don't give a shit about Addie, okay? When will you guys get that through your thick skulls?" Jo dropped a hand on her hip, staring Frankie down. Frankie's loose blonde hair whirled around her head like a tornado. How she managed to keep it off her face was beyond Jo.

"I don't understand you at all! Ugh, whatever! Just come to the dance, m'kay? Ad wants you to come."

"I'm not going because Ad wants me to," Jo spat. She was getting fed up with the constant nagging about her going to the stupid rave.

"What about me, then? Will you go for me?" Frankie's eyes begged Jo. Jo gave her a flat look, answering that question.

"Tina? Eli? What about Luke? What if someone asks you to go? Will you just - not go? Tell him no?" Frankie crossed her arms over her chest and popped her Jean clad hip out. Finished with the conversation, Jo threw her hands up in defeat.

"Fine! If someone asks me to go, then I'll go. Otherwise, not a chance!" Turning on her heel, Jo stomped away from Frankie and wove her way through the cars. She was late for her appointment. Her unscheduled appointment at the car dealership.

Frankie shouted something at Jo's receding back, but it was swept away by the sharp wind.

Sliding into the rusty, junk bucket car, Jo drove off and made her way toward the dealership. She had plans to buy a nice car for herself. Nothing too fancy, but reliable and stylish.

Jo arrived and a tall, pretty man greeted her as she walked in the door. A shiny, red car Jo recognized as a new Mustang GT was elevated on a platform in the center of the room. Several other luxury cars were parked in the room. A white Corvette Z06, a yellow Corvette Stingray and a beautiful, brand spanking new, cherry red Dodge Challenger Hellcat sat beckoning Jo. Jo's fingers itched to touch the Hellcat.

"Hello, miss. My name is Eric, how can I help you?" The pretty man introduced himself. He had sparkling blue eyes, a five o'clock shadow and chiseled features. He looked like an Abercrombie model, truth be told.

"Just out of curiosity, how much is that Hellcat?"

Pretty Boy Eric's eyes flickered to the car and back to Jo. A frown crossed his face.

"$65,000," Pretty Boy Eric replied. His brow furrowed as he studied Jo. "Would you rather look at our used cars? I'm sure those will fit in your price range, Miss-"

"Heathers. Angela Heathers. And no, I think I'd like to test drive that Hellcat," Jo snapped. She realized she hadn't exactly dressed the part today, but she was going for rich snob here to spend Daddy's money. She wore a tight fitting pink tee under a loose but figure molding grey jacket. She wore grey yoga pants and a pair of bright pink tennis shoes Cyrene had bought her the second time they met. Cyrene had intended to buy Jo's love since she clearly wasn't winning it with her oh-so-charming personality. This was the first time Jo had slid on the atrocious sneakers.

Jo hoped she at least looked like an "athletic" pampered girl. Maybe she should mention she had Daddy's money.

Pretty Boy Eric raised one perfectly plucked eyebrow at Jo's request. "You want to test drive the Hellcat? How do you even know that it's called a Hellcat?"

Rolling her eyes dramatically, Jo huffed and flipped her hair over her shoulder. The loose tendrils trailed down to her back. "Fine! I told Daddy I didn't want to buy my car at his lot but if I have to I will. Daddy won't be very happy with you, Edwin!" Jo had raised her voice to an upper register. She even stomped her foot for effect.