The Hardest Choice (Teen!Nightmare x Reader x Adult!Nightmare)

A/N: Hello? Guys? This story has been published for two weeks now and no one read it. Something's wrong or was it Wattpad's fault?

It's been a while since you landed in the Country of Diamonds. From the start you stayed at The Station with your newly met colleagues - Boris, Gray and Nightmare. Strange thing was that even if they resembled your old friends no one really knew or remembered you from the previous countries and one more - Nightmare was now younger. From his almighty, dream-ruling (although in reality very sickly) incubus form that ruled the whole Country of Clover he changed into a shorter (A/N: But still hot enough *wink wink*) still sickly and weak teenage version of his normal self that reigned The Station. You wondered why such a cute, helpless and mostly adorable thing could do such a grim and responsible task. You loved everyone here but the truth was you missed everyone form the previous countries, especially Nightmare. He would always help you if you had any questions and when you were confused or too tired to think, he would leave you with a pleasant dream. You remembered also your time from his country. When you helped Gray in finding him. Except always after you did find him he pleaded you to let him go 'for the last time' and you always agreed, hiding with him under the blanket and cuddling together to sleep.
As you remembered those happy memories tears started appearing in your eyes.

'Huh? W-why am I...?' you started wiping your tears away still confused as you heard someone approach you on the balcony you were standing on for a while now.

"Because you miss them." you turned around and saw your closest friend in here - Nightmare. "Because you miss him." your eyes widened as his head hung down in sadness. You walked up to him and stretched out your arm.

"Don't say it like that. And don't read my mind. It's not like that." he looked at you and asked with a trembling voice.

"It IS like that!" he slapped your hand away. It was the first time he used any force against you "You love him, don't you!? You can't forget about him, can you!? You probably would forget about me if you came back to him. And you want to, right? You want to go back to hi-!" you hugged him with tears in your eyes and started apologising multiple times. You felt like an idiot for making him feel that way. You didn't want to abandon him ever. And you would never forget him. Even if you really came back. You didn't want to forget anyone from any part of Wonderland.

"Please, stop. Don't say that. Please, stop that. Nightmare. I beg of you. Stop saying such things. It's not true. I won't forget any of you. Especially not you." you kept on pleading him in your mind as you hugged each other in tears.

"Then... will you stay here, (Y/N)?" you looked at his serious face with a confused one.

"Huh? Yeah, I mean I don't know how to go back to the Country of Joker for now so I will stay here for a wh-"

"No, it's not what I meant." he cut you off, shaking his head, the same sad expression on his features. "What I meant is... Will you stay here with me?" your eyes widened and teared up.

'What? He knows I can't make a choice like that. Not now... at least not yet! I'm not ready. I don't know who I will choose. And the other Nightmare... I can't just leave him uncertain like this! I still need...' he looked at you seriously again and finished by asking.

"...time?" your head lowered as you desperately thought of what to tell him not to hurt his feelings. It wasn't like you were rejecting him, it was more like you weren't still sure who was the exact winner of this game. "It's okay. I won't force you anymore." you glanced at him once again, guilt written all over his face. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you were still this lost." he left you there puzzled about his last words.