Ch 10: The Moon Map

Zaliya bowed her head respectfully to the dwarves still sitting at the table as she rose to her feet, following Lord Elrond down a long hallway. 

"Do you know what this is about?" she heard Thorin ask Balin a little ahead of her. 

"I'm afraid not laddie, might do you some good to ask Gandalf or Zaliya," Balin replied softly. Zaliya lifted her head to see Thorin glancing curiously over his shoulder. She mockingly grinned and saluted him, making him quickly turn away scowling. Chuckling, Zaliya slowed down so she was walking side by side with Bilbo. A calm silence settled between the group as they continued walking to their unknown destination. 

Gandalf put up a hand, halting the group, and turned to look intently at Thorin, "I wish for you to show the map to Lord Elrond." 

Thorin blinked startled, "Our business is no concern for elves." 

Zaliya growled from behind him, "For goodness sake, Thorin, show him the map."

Thorin turned on her angrily, "It is the legacy of my people; it is mine to protect, as are its secrets." 

Zaliya opened her mouth frustrated but Gandalf beat her to it, "Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves. Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in Middle-earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond." Zaliya looked at her feet confused, she could have read that map. 

Thorin looks at Zaliya out of the corner of his eye, and with everyone looking at him he reaches forward to hand the map to Elrond. Balin gasps in surprise and reaches out to stop him, "Thorin, no!"  He merely ignores his friend and hands the map to the elf. 

Elrond looks down on the map, "Erebor. What is your interest in this map?" 

Thorin opens his mouth to answer but Gandalf interrupts him, "It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text." 

Elrond looks at him unbelieving but says, "Cirth ithil." 

Gandalf smiles and nods in understanding, "Moon runes. Of course. An easy thing to miss." 

Elrond starts walking away toward an open balcony behind a beautiful waterfall, "Well in this case, that is true; moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written." 

Thorin leans forward anxiously, "Can you read them?"  

Elrond leads them to a crystalline table sitting on the edge of the cliff behind the waterfalls, "These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago." Elrond places the map down and turns to Thorin who had followed him, "It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield; the same moon shines upon us tonight." 

Elrond leans over the map his eyes narrowed in concentration, "It seems that I cannot remember how to read Ancient Dwarvish!" Thorin slams his hand on the table in frustration opening his mouth to make a cutting remark. Elrond raises his hand and turns his gentle eye to the lady hiding in the shadows, "But I do know that Ms. Pinewood can." Everyone turns to look at her in surprise, it seems that no one knew that she could read any language. 

Gandalf beckons her out of the shadows, "I didn't know you could read Ancient Dwarvish my dear?" 

Zaliya grinned sheepishly stepping up to the table, "I can communicate with any living thing, from an animal to an orc. Also meaning I can read any language." 

She bowed her head to Thorin and respectfully asked, "Do I have permission to read your map my king?" Thorin stared, mesmerized at her kindness and beauty, the moonlight catching the light of her highlights woven into her hair. "Yoo hoo? Earth to Thorin?" Zaliya waved her hand in-front of his face.