Ch 14: Into the Fire

Third POV

After getting outside, Gandalf was counting, making sure everyone was still there. 

"Five, six, seven, eight, Bifur, Bofur...that's ten...Fili, Kili...that's twelve...and Bombur - that makes thirteen. Where's Bilbo? Where is our Hobbit? Where is our hobbit?!" Gandalf asks panicking. 

Dwalin groans, "Curse the halfling! Now he's lost?!" 

Gloin frowns, "I thought he was with Dori!"

Dori scowls at Gloin, "Don't blame me!" 

Gandalf sighs, "Well, where did you last see him?"

Nori speaks up from behind Gloin, "I think I saw him slip away, when they first collared us."

Gandalf leans on his staff, "What happened exactly? Tell me!"

Thorin raises his head and says heatedly, "I'll tell you what happened. Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it! He's thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since first he stepped out of his door! We will not be seeing our Hobbit again. He is long gone."

Zaliya glares at Thorin and starts walking back to the goblin cave to find Bilbo. But stops when Bilbo emerges from his hiding spot, "No, he isn't," he says with a small smile at Zaliya's shocked face. He laughs when he gets swept into Zaliya's warm arms. 

Gandalf smiles and looks kindly at Bilbo, "Bilbo Baggins! I've never been so glad to see anyone in my life!" Dis-tangling himself from Zaliya's hug, Bilbo strides forward into the group. He pats Balin affectionately on the shoulder.  

"Bilbo, we'd given you up," Kili says relieved.

Fili nods, "How on earth did you get past the Goblins?"

Dwalin stares intently at Bilbo, "How indeed." There is an awkward silence as Bilbo tries to think what to say. In the end, he gives a nervous laugh and puts his hands on his hips. Gandalf is the only one to notice Bilbo sliding the Ring into his waistcoat pocket. Gandalf looks a bit perturbed. 

Zaliya laughs to ease the awkwardness, "Well, what does it matter? He's back!" 

Thorin frowns at Bilbo, ignoring Zaliya's disapproving gaze, "It matters! I want to know: why did you come back?"

 Bilbo looks at Thorin, not intimidated, "Look, I know you doubt me, I know you always have. And you're right, I often think of Bag End. I miss my books. And my armchair. And my garden. See, that's where I belong. That's home. And that's why I came back, cause you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back if I can." After Bilbo speaks, there is silence as the dwarves think about what Bilbo said. Gandalf smiles slightly, happy that Bilbo has changed so much - for the better. 

All of a sudden Zaliya gasped in fright, her ears perked up. Thorin turns to her concerned when he hears the howls, "Out of the frying pan..."

"...and into the fire!" Gandalf finishes, "Run! Run!" 

Thorin tugs on the still frozen Zaliya as they all start running down the mountain as fast as they can. The Wargs follow them rapidly. Soon the foremost Warg catches up to the group and leaps at Bilbo; Bilbo ducks behind a rock and the Warg's jaws snap in the air over his head. The Warg lands in front of him. Growling, it charges at him. Before it can bite him, Zaliya leaps in-front of him. Beheading the Warg with one swipe. A few more Wargs catch up to the fleeing dwarves, but they are quickly dispatched. The Company reaches a large outcropping of land with a few trees growing on it; they are trapped there, as there is no way off the outcropping besides a great fall down the mountain.