A Visit from Molly

Mrs Hudson placed her hand on the sobbing doctor’s shoulder. “I understand dear,” she began, “its going to be a difficult day for all of us. Would you like to come with me to his grave later?” John nodded quietly, tears still streaming down his face. The landlady gave John a weak smile, knowing that not much can be done to support the doctor. “I’ll call Molly, shall I?” The doctor had to stop and focus on his breathing; he tried to lengthen the short rapid breaths that escaped his mouth. “That would be great, thanks.” He eventually replied through his shaky broken voice which resembled his heart.

“Hello, John.” Molly entered the living room and saw the doctor lying helplessly on the sofa. “Molly,” John replied, “How are you?” He tried his best to sound casual; he tried to sound like he wasn’t dying inside.

“I’m not my best actually, how about you?”

“I could be better.” John answered through a shaky voice. Molly knelt down to the doctor’s level, stroking his short blond hair while giving him a sympathetic smile. “I’ve got something that might cheer you up”

 “What’s that?” He mumbled. In response, Molly reached behind her and lifted up a box that was coloured with a soft shade of lilac; she opened the box to reveal nine treats, all lined up in 3. “I baked cupcakes!” She smiled. John inhaled deeply, taking in the delicious aroma that made his mouth water: vanilla. He gave Molly a grateful smile. The woman sat down as John sat up and moved along the sofa, giving her room. She gave one of the treats to the doctor and then took one for herself. “So how have you been?” John asked, taking a small bite into the cupcake, “Rather well,” she replied, “not many people have been coming into the mortuary lately, so for the past week I’ve been dismissed early.”

 “And so you started baking because you were bored?” John finished. Molly chuckled, “Sherlock has certainly made a giant impact on you John.” “Mmm,” he replied in agreement; he felt his cheeks burning. “and now he’s gone…” His eyes began to flood with his tears, blurring his vision. “But he was a brilliant man,” Molly continued, trying to lighten the mood. “Because of that, he will never be forgot-”

*Buzz Buzz*

The woman pulled out her phone out of her pocket while John licked away vanilla icing from his upper lip, a tear rolling down his cheek as he thought of Sherlock.

‘Molly, come over ASAP-SH’

She was about to put her phone away when it vibrated again.

‘Forget ‘ASAP’ come over now.-SH’

“Who’s that?” John asked, putting down his cupcake. He didn’t want to eat; he was too depressed to eat.

“O-Oh it’s the…hospital.” She stuttered through the lie. “Turns out I’m needed now. I’m so sorry John, I have to leave.”

“No, no it’s fine, thank you for the cupcakes Molly.”

She grinned before picking up her coat and rushing out of 221B to greet the detective; the doctor was left to his thoughts. His memories tortured him. After a while of thinking, he came to a decision and reached for a pen and paper…