The Departure...

John was stunned. Almost speechless. "Wha-you...Sherlock!" The doctor's face was crumpled in confusion. "You were the person who told me to go!" Sherlock didn't move; his eyes were still locked on John. "You were the person who convinced me to go, and now less than 24 hours before, you change your mind?" The detective opened his mouth before abruptly closing it. This earned a frustrated sigh off of John. "Look, Sherlock, I've already confirmed my stay there, the food is planned, my room is set up and loads of money has been spent on my accommodation and printing sheets for my lessons. I can't just back out now; it's too late." John watched ebony curls engulf Sherlock's face as he bowed his head down to his hands. "What's happened, Sherlock? Why don't you want me to go?" Sherlock hesitated before answering, something that is unlike him. He tapped a random beat on the surface of the table with his fingers. He was thinking for a suitable answer that didn't make him seem as selfish as he was being. The fact that he won't be with John for a month sent his stomach plummeting; his heart to his throat. Every time he imagined waking up to an empty flat with not a doctor in sight, he had to hold back tears. Mrs Hudson couldn't be more right: this opportunity will open doors. Behind these doors will be even more opportunities, more trips, more time away from each other. It hurt. There was always the option of going with him to other ones, but it would be very limited in places other than London to work. It would be difficult to solve cases without talking them through with Lestrade in person. Sherlock wouldn't be able to see crime scenes in real life, making them more difficult to observe, more difficult to deduce and more difficult to solve. He was fully aware of his selfishness; he didn't care though. Seeing John after 3 years made Sherlock discover that life was just dull, mundane and uneventful without his trusty blond by his side. He wanted as much time physically possible with John.

"Sherlock?" John halted his racing mind.

"I'll miss you." The detective replied honestly. He was then given a sympathetic smile. John reached across the table to put his hand over Sherlock's. He gripped tightly.

"I will too; but trust me, the month will just fly by-"

"It will for you."

"And you too," John insisted. "This will be good for both of us, Sherlock. We'll get money, you'll get some peace and I will get more opportunities-"

Sherlock sighed irritably. "That's why I don't want you to go!"

"What?" John looked hurt. "Oh, so you don't want me to have good job opportunities, you don't want me to progress...what's wrong with you? You don't want be to be happy, Sherlock? Is that it?"

At that point, Sherlock lost it. He didn't care how selfish he sounded. "Yes, John. That's exactly it." He raised his voice slightly. "In all honesty, I don't want you to spend time away from me. I can see exactly what's going to happen! You're just going to become more and more known and higher in demand. You will meet more people, more people will want to meet you and guess what, John? I may even end up with competition!"

John stared at the man in front of him in disbelief. "Oh don't be ridiculous!"

"I'm not! Take it from the superior mind!"

Anger now simmered in John. "Listen, I have to put up with your shit every day, you pompous arse! Surely the fact that I'm still here shows that I care about you, otherwise I'd be with someone else right now!"

Sherlock was now the one who was hurt. In fact, 'hurt' was an understatement. "Well fine! Go! Have a nice break from my shit! And yeah, clearly I'm your whole world if you refer to me as a pompous arse!" John immediately regretted letting his anger take control. The rage got too much for him; he needed to leave before he did something else he regretted. He needed to cool down. The doctor aggressively pushed his chair backwards and stood up before storming towards the door of the restaurant.