Milk and Case Planning...

Merry Christmas everyone! Apologies for not updating in ages, too much school work, revision and coursework; (I also had a bit of writer's block :S). I normally send off my chapters before I publish them in order to get feedback so I can improve them but my little slave- ahem, I mean friends have gotten caught up in the Christmas spirit (which is understandable, I have too c:) and have not given me any feedback yet so there may be a few mistakes. Don't worry though! After I have been given improvements, this chapter shall be edited :D I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing this and happy holidays my fellow Johnlock shippers! :D x

"You took your time." Sherlock remarked as John walked into the kitchen. He was still sat in the kitchen, peering intently into his microscope, the only thing that had changed was the fact that one of hands was wrapped around a steaming cup of tea. He stretched out his free hand towards John as he approached.

"Yeah, well Christmas shopping is practically suicide in London." John joked as he reached to the bottom of a Boots shopping bag and pulled out a pack of nicotine patches. He placed them into the outstretched hand.

"Hmmm..." Sherlock quickly slid the pack into his blazer pocket. "Interesting."

"What?" John asked as he dropped the heavy shopping bags on the floor.

"It's lucky you've gotten more milk; I'm finding traces of streptococci, the milk has started to spoil."

John sat across from Sherlock. "Well if you didn't always keep milk out of the fridge, it might last a bit longer."

"But science, John. I keep it out of the fridge for science."

John chuckled and rested his chin in his hand. "So tell me, what does it mean to find...that stuff-"

"Streptococci."

"Yes. What does it mean to find it in milk?"

"Do pay attention John, I told you. The milk spoils."

"No, go into more detail than just that. I want to see what causes you to have such a passion for science."

Sherlock slowly looked up from the microscope; it was the first time John had seen those icy irises since he had returned. "Really?" Sherlock asked in disbelief, to which John simply nodded.

Sherlock's cupid bow lips twitched slightly into a smile before he chuckled softly. "You know, searching for bacteria in milk isn't the source of my scientific interest."

"I know, but I haven't heard you make a deduction in a while, I'm not used to it." John taunted. "I'd at least like to listen to an explanation of yours about what's happening in your little petri dish."

"Well... if milk is not kept at a decent temperature- or if it's kept for too long- the bacteria in it multiplies, very simple really. The streptococci converts the lactose into lactic acid which causes the milk to obtain more hydrogen ions and so the pH of it changes, causing its sour taste. Lactobacilli then starts to gro-"

The detective was suddenly interrupted by a pair of firm familiar lips against his, something he wasn't expecting considering John was so small and he was across a relatively large table. Sherlock opened his eyes, only to see John practically climbing onto the table to pull him into his embrace.

"No, John! Stop!"

The doctor pulled back in surprise, clearly hurt by Sherlock's rejection. "What?"

Sherlock immediately stood up and ran round the table before pulling John off of the table by his arm with quite a bit of force."You know I love you, John, but-"