Prologue

Oh, Christ my head. Where was I? Crushing a demon heart, I think. Dance. I have to finish this, all those people, Max, Adelie, Burton, they can't have died for nothing. But I can't do it alone, I need Hyde. And though I think of him as a monster, he's my monster.
I suppose everyone has their monsters. Just maybe not as personified as mine. And I admit, he is dangerous, he's lethal to anyone who gets in his way, but I need him to do this. I need... Me.
I run, half Jekyll, half Hyde, towards the echoing sound of the still beating heart. A heart I needed to stop beating. And a part of me wanted that heart to be of Dance, not of the dark demon laying dormant in the Calyx.
Time seemed frozen, everyone around lifeless like wax models. It was a struggle to run, as if the air had turned into honey, but I fought through it. The sound of gunfire rattled the old brick walls, alarming me to whoever was in its way, but I couldn't look, not now. But what if it was Bella? Or Maggie? Olalla was safe, I knew that. She had taken refuge in the old Jezequiel church with Renata, but she was weak and goodness knows whether she would last.

The Calyx was within arms reach and I could hear the reverberating heartbeat drum out of it. It was either my family or the whole world, so with a heavy heart, I plunged my fist into the jar. It would kill them all, Maggie, Garson, Bella, MIO, Tenebrae, Ravi, Lily... What choice did I have?

"Forgive me".