10 - (Grand)Mother Knows Best

"Oh this is quite a predicament", Natalia sighed to herself and collapsed onto her bed. Creases made their way across the duvet cover like tiny crevices in the blue floral design. It had reached midday and the sun was hanging in the middle of the sky, but the twilight Winter sky had drowned its light so her room was dark. It may have been the start of December, but the weather had seemed sadder than usual. Perhaps it was just Heaven trying to reflect her mood. Maybe if she hadn't been weighed down with this big secret she might have been able to appreciate that snow had finally fallen across London and left a crust of whiteness on every terraced rooftop. 

The truth, the actual truth was that she didn't know who she was. Her mind was so full of memories, swirling like a hurricane that she couldn't tell which one were hers and which ones were Lottie's. The only way she could find out was to get into the chamber, and the difference between it would be that if the Amortidor was trapped inside and rose, it would survive the bullet, Lottie wouldn't.

Either way one of them was going to die. Tenebrae knew where it was now, and Dance's rule was 'whenever battle is upon you, take away at least one casualty'. That was final. It was just a matter of whether Lottie would lose her powers or her life...

"Maggie!" Robert called as he saw his grandmother's silhouette pass by the doorway. "Maggie, can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Of course, dear", she cooed. "What is it?" She had changed since breakfast and now she had a violet smock on with a cream coloured shawl. Her blonde hair was streaked with grey and was in tight curls.

"I-I... I need some advice. If you had two people you loved very much and you had to choose, one was on the same level as you, knew you really well, and the other was... unsafe, but you loved them... secretly".

Maggie could see her two people, her Edward Hyde and Garson. And they were just as Robert described. Edward Hyde was a dangerous man to be around, but he had a mysterious allure about him, and he did love her. Well, Jekyll did anyway. But Garson, well, Garson was just her rock. Whenever she fell, whenever she was in need, he would be there. And that was all she ever wanted.

"You know what, sometimes I wonder why I ever fell in love with Edward Hyde, and then I look at you and it makes sense. He gave me the greatest family I could have ever asked for, but then there's Garson. And he's the most wonderful man I've ever met. Sometimes you overlook the people who look after you the most and go straight for the different ones. But dear, if you can find someone that is your best friend and knows all your secrets for you, then you've done something right".

"You're right", Jekyll murmured finally, after mulling over the information that had just been told to him for a moment.

"It's Bella and Lily, isn't it? Bella loves you, really she does-"

"I know. But I think she prefers Hyde to me".

"I hate to break it to you Rob, but Hyde is you. He's in your blood".

"I suppose", he lulled, and decided it was perhaps time to change the subject slightly. "Maybe it's time we both made a choice". Maggie chuckled to herself.

"Yes, but dear, one of my options has been dead for twenty years".

"Then it will be easy".

"I think it might not be that hard for you either".

"I don't know. Lily is... different".

"Now, now", she started, sitting him down in a nearby chair. "You listen to your grandmother, don't you?"

"Yes".

"You respect her opinion?"

"Yes".

"Then, listen to me now, for what that girl did to you, put you through, God is wasting oxygen on her".

"So I'm taking it you're on Bella's side then?"

"What gave you that idea?" she asked and started to walk off. "Enjoy the snow!"

A/N: If I haven't given the impression already, I don't like Lily one bit. Just me? - L x