11 - Military Intelligence Other

"Ready to go Jekyll?" Natalia said, finally retreating from the increasingly homely darkness of her room.

"Of course", he answered, picking his coat off the rack and checking to see if the snag had healed, as Natalia had said it would. It had, leaving just a dark grey scar in the material. "Remember where it is?"

"I've been protecting it for twenty years or more", she smiled, but then her eyes widened in realisation. "You'll need this". Feeling quite proud that her dedication and faith had paid off, she handed over the Hyde Sword, its gems a pale green colour, sparkling in the light.

"It's a wonderfully beautiful weapon, isn't it?"

"Fun fact, the sword is actually linked to the Jekyll who wields it. The gems change colour with you".

"You mean-"

"Green for Jekyll, red for Hyde".

"That is... I don't actually know what to do with that".

"Me neither. Anyway, is it just me and you?"

"I wanted to avoid any casualties. I mean if you say Lottie is as powerful as you say she is".

"Bet Olalla loves you. Not letting her on her Girl Guide's trip".

"Yeah, she's currently sulking in her room". Robert smiled, and slid the sword into a brown, leather cover. He gestured her outside and was genuinely surprised by the snow outside. His porch was covered in a two inch layer of diamond-like snow. "Guess we don't have the weather on our side". He trudged into it, and a sudden chill went into his shoes.

"Funny how it just came on so suddenly. The papers didn't say anything about it". In the distance there was a crack of white lightning. "Yep, the weather is definitely not on our side".

"This is... weird weather", she started with a smile, but something deep inside her told her the origin of this was different to just some wild conditions. She was sure that one of Lottie's powers was weather manipulation, but did that mean... she was Lottie? Was the Amortidor monster the one in the chamber? It would make sense, it would sense that she was near and start playing up. Feeling rather cold all of a sudden, she shook away her theory and carried on through the snow.

It took them longer than they would have wanted to get to MIO. And they already knew they were coming. The Welshman, the one that liked poetry, was holding a rather aggressively sawn off shotgun, and whistling Calon Lan to himself.

"Great, we have company".

"You've been reading way too many action novels Robert. That is literally the most cliché line ever made".

"Okay, keep your hair on. You can't be that original, you're a manufactured twin". Natalia's eyebrows raised in slight disbelief and offence. "Sorry... What do we do?"

"You stay here, I'll distract him. Wait for my signal. And anyway, it'll give you enough time to think of an insult that you'll immediately take back". Nonchalantly, she wandered over to the building, whistling another Welsh hymn off the top of her head.

"Christina Rossetti", he exclaimed as she came into his sight.

"There is a place where the sidewalk ends. And before the street begins. And there the grass grows soft and white. And there the sun burns crimson bright. And there the moon-bird rests from his flight. To cool in the peppermint wind", she started, knowing he would finish.

"Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black. And the dark street winds and bends. Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow. We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow. And watch where the chalk-white arrows go. To the place where the sidewalk ends", he finished, and slid his shotgun into its sleeve. "Tom Sackler. Sorry, I haven't introduced myself properly".

"Natalia Olejova. I think". Sackler chuckled under his breath. She waved behind her and in the corner of her eye saw a silhouette pass by into the alley next to the building.

"You know how I can't let you into the chamber, even if I wanted to".

"Not even for Wordsworth and a pretty face like yours?"

"Flattery and the greatest poet ever lived. Tempting, but I'm afraid not".

"Shame", she said, walking away from him. "Because it really is a pretty face". She escaped into the alley and saw Robert inspecting a manhole cover.

"Really, flirting? That's your distraction?" he whispered finally.

"A woman's touch, dear. You will never understand it", she answered, slightly disgruntled. "So, is this our way in?"

"It could be. If I could prise this off". He started pulling at the handle on the cover, but it wouldn't budge. "But it's jammed on". An idea popped into Natalia's head. Change of colour, perhaps?

"Rob", she whispered, clenching her fist. "Duck". He looked up, not quite hearing what she said, but was met with her fist in his face. That was enough for Hyde to be awakened, and underneath the sword's sleeve, she could see the luminous green glow darken into a blood red.

"You wouldn't believe how much I enjoyed that", she murmured to herself. Hyde moved his neck and the bones cracked in it. It had been a long time since Jekyll had let him out to play.

"I would". He reached forward and pulled on the handle. This time it came loose almost immediately and he dropped it to the floor with a clatter. Maybe Sackler was either deaf or ignorant because he didn't move a muscle. "Ladies first", he gestured into the darkness below.

"It's rather deep, isn't it? Maybe we should throw a stone down there or something. Don't want to break something".

"Oh, yes, why not?" He put a hand on his back and with a swift shove pushed her down into it. A loud thud resounded throughout, luckily not a crack of one of her bones.

"Thanks, darling", she called and it echoed through the tunnel above.

"You're welcome", came the reply. A smile came across her face, but it soon dropped as she heard a barrel clicking at the side of her head.

"Ever get the feeling of déjà vu?" said a familiar voice. Dance. Dance was here.