5. Sleep is the Answer to the Day's Questions

Robert seriously didn't know what to do, say, think, anything. Lying in front of him was a complete impossibility that he couldn't get his head around. In the end he decided to double check to see that his ears were tricking him. But before he could, two grey-green eyes shot open and like lightning she flung her hand forward to meet the unsuspecting Jekyll. He flew across the room, crashing into the wall opposite and leaving a deeply engraved dent. Hyde was trying to get out in the frenzy that had overrun his sense, by he kept him down. 

"Get the Hell off me..." she whispered, back into a corner, then noticing Olalla in the corner of her eye. 

"I'm trying to help. I won't hurt you I promise. On my life. Both of them", Robert answered calmly. 

"That's what they said. Now look at me". 

"Who are 'they'? What did they do?"

"They made me a monster, of course. And not the one I wanted". 

"Why were you up so late?" Olalla asked, treading lightly down the stairs. 

"I was being followed. They wanted to know where... she was". Her vision started to twist and black out colour by colour, and she fell down again. But this time Robert was there to catch her. 

"I'm getting my pyjamas back in the morning", Olalla retorted and went back to bed, leaving Jekyll alone in the darkness. 

"First we get you to bed, and then I work out what you're hiding", he thought then shifted Lottie into his arms and carried her up the stairs. Carefully he placed her into her bed, making sure not to wake her. He thought of his bed too, but somehow seemed to tired to be bothered to sleep. Plus, he could wake up to Lottie in the same position she had just been in. So instead he pulled out one of the cushioned armchairs that had been gathering dust for the last seventy so years in the corner of the room and sat in it. Then promptly got up again. The answers to his questions wouldn't be in some ancient armchair, he needed the Jezequiel book of monsters. Quickly he headed into the lab and picked it off the shelf it had been residing in, since Olalla had finally decided to give it back, and escaped back to his chair. 

"Right, so monsters that can..." he thought to himself as he turned the first page. The illustration was of some sort of creature that seemed could only inhabit the nightmarish worlds people thought up. Cold kept being a recurring topic when the mysterious M was involved. The cryogenic chamber that Ravi saw, Lottie's rather overwhelming obsession with putting references to it. "Monsters that can survive in the cold". Searching through the glossary he found numerous monsters, the Abominable Snowman, Jotun, Wendigo, but none fitted the pattern. Well, all except one. The Amortidor monster. According to legend, they could absorb the memories, powers and, if wanted, appearance of a given person. They were invulnerable to all extreme types of the elements, but was weak towards magnetic forces as it disrupts their powers. Was that who Lottie was protecting? An Amortidor monster. But why? What could it possibly be hiding that would be so important? But what if it was hiding her. What if it had absorbed all of her power and that's why it's in a chamber. To keep it safe. And away from Tenebrae. 

The night went on quite quickly and Robert spent his time watching the stars go out and reappear as the household slept. But soon the sun rose, and all he could remember of the night was that he had fallen asleep quite quickly. 

"Robert?" a voice said from somewhere in the room. Lottie. "Wakey, wakey". His eyes opened to her dressed in an emerald skater dress with a ruffled collar, and her hair curled at the ends so it just touched her shoulders. 

"Sorry, must have... nodded off". 

"Must have been engrossed in your book", she said pointing at the open Jezequiel book on his lap, open at the very page he left it. 

"Oh, um, yes. Been revising", he answered and shut it, putting it underneath his arm. "Breakfast?" 

"Sounds lovely. I'll just be down in a minute", she lilted, and watched as Jekyll walked out of the door and closed it behind him. 

"He knows", she breathed and pulled the hair away from her face. "Oh dear God, he knows. And if he knows, Hyde knows. He'll kill me for lying. Oh dear Pan, help me now". She paced around the room. The page he was on, he obviously knew who M was. Now, not only would Tenebrae be after her, MIO would too. They all would, and then she would be responsible for the chaos that would ensue. She needed a miracle, she needed some sort of God to listen and help. 

Her worries were listened to. But not by a God, nor monster, but Robert standing outside the door. And all the pieces started falling into place, well, the pieces he needed to know one thing. Lottie had lied.