16 - Death of a Bachelor

A/N : This chapter's basically just going to be tying up all the loose ends. This is the last chapter before the epilogue, but if you want I can write another one. Thanks for being amazing! - L x

"She was good", Robert sighed. "I liked her a lot".

"Oh, thanks", Lottie answered sarcastically. "Sorry the wrong twin got left here".

"I like you too".

"Good to know. Anyway, I need a chat with you...in private". Immediately every person in the room apart from Robert and Lottie left to do their own separate things. Garson and Olalla disappeared into the lab, and Ravi and Maggie upstairs.

"I want to give you something, but I think you should give it to someone in turn".

"O-kay? Slightly worried now". She pulled out the ring she found in MIO and placed it gently in his hand.

"I may not have my powers now, but I'm still telepathic. I've seen how much you love Bella, don't you want that to be known?"

"If you're trying to push me into engagement, it's not going to happen".

"You deserve a happy ever after Robert, you and Hyde. I'm not pushing you into it, just... I need to get this ring away from here".

"So, you're offering me a dodgy ring?"

"It's not dodgy, I just need it out of my hair. Give it as a present, anything, just get it out of here". Her tone was fast and panicked, which alerted Robert to something more than just a pushy sister.

"What is it Lottie?"

"It's the Jekyll Ring. I didn't know MIO had it, but they do... well, did".

"What's a Jekyll Ring?"

"One of the three artifacts used by an Old God. See, Robert, we're not like other people, this curse we have, it descends from a demon itself. This demon, Pan had three artifacts he used to control everything around him. He had a ring, a sword and an amulet, which were all named for the creatures that descended from him".

"So it has power this ring?"

"Yes, more than you can imagine. You think of something it becomes reality".

"And you want me to give it to someone who loves one half of me. I might be losing one part of me".

"She loves both of you. She thinks of you as a whole, don't you want that?"

"I do, but I don't want her to be a scapegoat for your problems". Robert started to pace, putting the ring down on the coffee table, and seriously thought about Lottie's offer. "Why do you want to get rid of it so much? Apart from it being powerful and all".

"It can only be used by a Hyde. I've had a tricky past, I don't want to use it. I might... hurt people".

"So it's for you".

"I get to see the world in one piece, and you get the affection for both sides of you from the woman of your dreams".

"I could send you down for blackmail".

"But I'm your sister. And I currently am in possession of the ring you want that will make you go in Bella's good books".

"Fine, I'll take it. Happy?"

"Aren't I always?"...

"Why are you doing this again Robert?" he asked himself as he waited outside the back door of the Empire. "Oh yes, you got blackmailed into it by your new sister". Maybe being Hyde would make him less... nervous. But he couldn't just change, he needed something to bring him out. Quickly, he picked up a pallet of wood that had been abandoned next to the door, and promptly hit himself over the head with it. "No, nope, that definitely didn't work", he wimpered holding his forehead. A girl walked past holding two metal tankards in her hand, with curly red hair in a bun.

"Do me a favour", he asked her. "Can you kiss me?"

"Um, no. I'm married".

"Can you punch me then?"

"How many had you had to drink?"

"Really, not enough to even think about what I'm about to do". She walked away, with a rather manic impression of the curly haired man talking to himself. Hyde definitely didn't want to come out, and Jekyll collapsed onto the step. Was Hyde...scared? Was that it? Robert then remembered something. He dug in his pocker and gently pulled out a vial of red monocane.

"Sorry, but I can't do this. I'm leaving it in your hands, Hyde. Don't make me regret this". He glugged down the mixture, and Hyde reluctantly came out.

"Well then", Hyde exclaimed, cracking his neck. He looked up and couldn't see Bella's window. Jekyll had put him on the wrong side. But then again, it wouldn't be very spectacular to just walk around. "Let's go".

In his usual carefree way, he climbed up the brickwork and old railings up to Bella's balcony. It was a beautiful night, the moon hung just past the rooftops and shone like firefly light.

"One day I'm going to pay for you to get your own balcony", Bella said from behind him. He smiled, and spun around to see her. She was wearing her green cocktail dress and her hair was tied into a bun.

"Yes, but then I'd miss this view". Bella chuckled and joined next to him.

"What you doing here Hyde? You only come here if you want something, or a demon has possessed your little brother".

"Actually I wanted to give you something back. Just for being there for me". Out of his pocket he pulled out the ring and placed it on her finger. It was a clear white colour.

"Oh Hyde it's beautiful. Thank you". She pulled out two seats from her bedroom and placed them outside. Collapsing on one, she sighed, the ring on her finger sparkling like the stars in the sky. "So, tell me everything"...