|1|

I was sitting on an old wooden-bench beside a huge oak tree that was probably a century old. Its bark was rough and peeling off due to the warm weather. I came early to school, despite admitting the fact that I was never a morning person. Since I was late last Friday and my teacher didn't take it well, my mom made it a point to wake me up early. Hence, I saw you casually strolling by the hallways, your dark green Jansport bag hanging loosely by your shoulder with your hand keeping it in place.

You didn't have your golden-blonde head held high as if you own the world and everybody else in it. You weren't looking down at the floor like some loser either. Instead, you're looking around as if you're at the mall, shopping for something to waste your money on, just because you felt like it.

Your bright blue eyes twinkled when a short, red-head girl wearing glasses beamed at you. You returned her smile with your own dazzling one. Oh, so you're polite huh.

But then, you frowned and furrowed your eyebrows when Jesse The Cheerleader, seductively raked her finger down your impressive biceps when you passed by her.

I couldn't blame her though. You, Jason McLean, was really a fine sight. Deep-set, bright blue eyes, that I swore change into grey every time the sunlight hit them, a perfect nose, defined jaw line that made you look like a devious, yet drool-worthy bad boy. Soft-looking lips that was always curved into that mysterious and toe-curling smirk. And of course those two deep dimples buried in your cheeks were the icing on the cake.

You were pretty much a hunk, with you being in the football team and all. Oh, and a complete hottie since you're smart too. You were ranked in the top five last year when we were juniors. A complete package I might say, so, Jesse The Cheerleader being Jesse The Cheerleader had no poor eyesight at all.

But, I was surprised, really. How could you frown at that? She was 'smokin' hot' as most hormonal teenage boy like you would say. She had pin-straight black hair (Pantene commercial worthy, really), porcelain skin, full red lips and sky-blue captivating eyes. She even wore classy clothes. No, not the kind of skirt that looked like a belt. She wore skirts too, but the kind of skirt that I'd also definitely wear if I was half as pretty as her. And also, if I could afford it. Yes, those kind of skirts. And her legs did do them justice.

I couldn't help but furrow my eyebrows tightly togther when you gently tried to push her hand away. Oh, how could I forget. You were polite. However, I was probably wrong to think that you were just polite to the red-head from earlier, when you peeked over by your shoulder to check if she was still behind you. And of course she was there - rooted on the spot. You threw her a calculating and apologtic look, as if sending a silent explanation on as to why Jesse The Cheerleader was touching you.

I picked up my cup of Starbucks to-go coffee, inhaling its sweet scent as the smoke from the paper cup spiralled in the air. I could've really used a cheese-flavored popcorn this time, but coffee was good, anyway. At least I had a front seat view.

She gave you a tight and forced smile, and your face was contorted when you noticed that it was fake too. You pursed your lips tight and let Jesse The Cheerleader's hand fall from your grip. The gravity must've hated her because her hand slapped against her leg in a resounding clap and it left a bright red mark, causing her to yelp.

"Ooh. That hurt," I chuckled lightly, grasping the cup tighter and hissing when I felt its heat radiating from the paper.

"Jerk! When you realize that that nerd can't give you what you need, you'd come running back to me." My head snapped back when Jesse screamed at you. I actually snorted and rolled my eyes at that, just so you know. How conceited. Maybe, the nerd could give it too. It just so happens that Jesse was a lot more vocal.

You weren't even the slightest bit bothered about what she said, since your eyes was entirely focused on that red-head that hastily fled away from the scene.

I swore, your face looked like it was in the movies. As if, the love of your life just left you.

"Ruby!" you called after her, your voice deep and intoxicating, virbrating around the hallway in an early morning of Monday.

Some students looked at you in confusion and curiousity (since you're popular and all), but she ignored you. If it wasn't obvious with the way she ran as if you were a cop and she was a prisoner on the loose, then I didn't know what you think was obvious.

So Ruby was her name. It suited her. She wasn't the first gem you'd notice in rows of diamonds, sapphires and emeralds. Yet, she'd definitely catch your eye after a long look. She was toned down, yet blazing. Oh, and it also suited her hair.

So that was your type. Girls that dressed up like they wore what they just found - wearing faded T-shirts, jeans and worn-out sneakers - but, they'd go on and moan about how guys didn't find them pretty.

She obviously liked you, though. And you, did her. It was obvious even to the most oblivious person on earth. But, of course love was stupid, so were the two of you. That was why even if deep inside she knew you liked her, and you plain out rejected Jesse The Cheerleader in front of her, she still ran away, feeling all insecure. That was why, even if you liked her, you still haven't told her yet, because you're afraid that she'd reject you. Even though, deep inside you knew, that somehow she liked you back too.

Jesse The Cheerleader was also stupid. She kept on seducing you when she knew you'd just reject her, because you liked Ruby The Red-head.

All of you were stupid. Of course, all of you were. You all believed in love. And that's stupid enough to be stupid.

-

A short story :)