|7|

"Phoebe, wait up! Hey!"

I ground my teeth together and turned around on my heel, groaning out loud when I saw Toby in his sweaty football uniform, running towards me. He was heaving and panting when he reached me, both palms perched on his knees as he tried to gain his breath. His brown hair was sticking out in different angles, and his lower lip was in between his teeth.

"Some football skills, you got there," I teased, motioning towards his hunched over state.

He stood up straight and grinned brightly up at me. He was sweating like a newly pulled-out bottle of soda from the fridge. Chuckling at my remark, he wiped his forehead with his forearm. "What's up?"

"Uh... if you haven't checked, the sky's up."

He laughed loudly, and clapped his hand against his knee. Too bubbly. "You're really funny, Pheebs."

Oh great, he was making small talk. Small talks that I didn't have the slightest bit of interest in. Small talks are only for great conversationalists. And, even a blind bat would know that I could never be one of those people who could hold smooth-flowing conversations. I was more of a monosyllabic kind of gal. Well, unless if I was fuming mad, of course.

"Hmhmm. I gotta go."

"Hey, wait." His fingers curled around my wrist, making me raise my brow at it. He blushed a light shade of pink, and hastily removed his grip from me. "I just wanted to... um... maybe we could eat lunch together tomorrow?"

I chuckled. What's with people, asking me out on lunch and dinner, lately? It wasn't like I looked like someone who didn't eat. But, the idea was still quite foreign and amusing to me. Granted, I've been asked out before. But, twice in a day, by two hot guys? That was a little amusing and alarming at the same time.

Honestly though, having lunch was way better than dinner. Also, Toby was far more a better company than you. Oh you, Jason, I'd probably just die in your company. But, then again, Toby was just a little too much of everything. And I didn't have that much patience in my heart to deal with too much. I could only handle half of it, and I was probably trying my hardest then. Oh, and how could I forget? Saying yes, meant I was in for something more. Which wasn't true by the way.

I'd rather pig-out all day, with my legs perched on the coffee table as I watched re-runs of F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

So I did the most logical thing to do for someone as irrational as myself. "Look, Toby, you're cute and all, but I'm just not interested. Yeah? I really have to go now. My ride home is waiting."

It was true. Gary was probably wailing inside his bright red Mini Cooper from waiting.

"I could give you a lift," he offered. The smile on his face was hopeful and it took all of my willpower not to coo.

"Sorry, but I don't want you to give me a lift."

He laughed, and I furrowed my brows together. I knew my rejection was pretty brutal, since that was my best suit - being rude and harsh. I somehow, (sadistically) liked the effect it had on people. They squirm and fumble for words, making me a lot more comfortable and confident with my own. But, Toby here was a different case. He laughed at me - a full out laugh.

"You're really something, Pheebs. Anyway, you'll say yes someday so I'm just gonna keep trying. I'll text you later, yeah?"

My mouth hung open, no words came out as I stared at bim incredously. Was he kidding me?

He was indeed stupid. Only stupid people would find me amusing. Somehow though, in a paradigm I could never understand, I found the way he thought I was amusing, cute. Especially when I blushed that moment, he threw me a playful wink.

How stupid of me.