Ruined

A week went by in a flash. Adrian signed the contract Dan and I wrote. I cleaned out everything in my camping car and moved into a five star hotel with Dan.

The next week slugged by. Dan and I got hired as Adrian's personal secretaries. We got used to the new job in a matter of days.

Another week creeped by. Adrian informed us to be ready to meet our first target, Alpha Nile of the Blood Red Sky pack, next week. Dan didn't say a word to me for that entire week. I was lost in thought for most of the week.

Today was a start of a new week and the promised day to meet Alpha Nile. Dan and I decided to take a break from work before attending the meeting. 

I wrapped myself with a quilt and leaned against the iron railing surrounding the hotel's balcony. It was snowing heavily today and I felt the snow creating soft cool layers on me. I had been sitting outside on this balcony for hours while staring down at the city through the thick railing. 

I shifted my gaze to the sketchbook in my hands. The entire book was pretty much soaking wet and buried in snow. I didn't mind the damage since all of my recent drawings for the few past weeks just looked like trash. So I just sat there in the wind and the snow with a blank look in my eyes.

I remained still even when someone slammed open the balcony door behind me. A small child with blonde hair and golden eyes immediately pounced onto me. 

"Danny!" The little girl exclaimed as she tried without much progress to drag me back in from the balcony. "Hurry up and help! She's going to freeze into a snowman!"

"..... I'm fine Katelyn." I mumbled without looking back. "Get back in so th-"

"DANNY!!! SHE'S GOING TO FREEEEEZE!!!" 

Great. I could hear she sobbing now. It was amazing how her scream didn't sound annoying in my ears despite the volume. I guess, it's because I could feel the sincerity in her pleading voice. "Alright, I'm coming, Katelyn. Just... get back inside before you catch a cold." 

Dan ran into my bedroom just in time to see both of us covered in snow. I quietly flapped and folded the quilt I had around me and dusted the snow off Katelyn. The girl went on chirping and chittering when she saw Dan's worried face.

"Danny, Danny, she was freezing and like frozen and, and just sitting there and-"

"She's fine, Katelyn." Dan got on his knee and gave her a hug. "She likes to stay outside during rainy or snowy days."

It surprised me how close Dan now was with Adrian's daughter. As the eldest in the family, he always had a soft spot for little kids. I wasn't really bothered with the close relation Dan had with our hostage; what bothered me actually was that Katelyn turned out to be a just 10 year old human girl meaning that Adrian's mate must've been human as well. I would've preferred Katelyn to be some grown up girl who just as cunning and unlikeable as her father but she was the exact opposite. Katelyn knew about the existence of werewolves beforehand but she didn't know who her mother was or how her father even looked like. 

I also realized that she had the a soft shining red string of fate around her left pinky which was typical of young wolves' descendants.

"I'm sorry I scared you Katelyn." I apologized as I got rid of the last speck of melted snow off her glistening hair. "Don't worry about me I never caught a cold in my life."

"Really? Is that also the wolf-thing? Not catching cold?"

"Cold never bothers us." Dan smiled and picked Katelyn up. "Now why don't we get ready for lunch and start today's class after that?"