Misplaced Patchwork Stiches

Gaara sat on the bed in the Kazekage's room looking at the teddy bear head in his hands. His pale teal eyes darted over to the stuffed animal sitting propped up next to the just as unused pillow on the bed. A sigh escaped the young Kazekage's mouth as he tried figuring out what he'd done wrong on his own version of his childhood toy.

"Maybe you just don't understand the feelings of the child you want to give it to."

The red haired shinobi's eyes snapped shut at the attack from Shikaku, and then realized the beast actually for once was trying to be helpful. Gaara's eyes opened up, and he looked over at the toy. "Problem is I don't exactly understand the feelings I have with my own toy, or why it actually survived."

"I wouldn't call Temari having to mend it for you when she discovered it's ear torn off as your teddy having survived childhood. Or it's arm for that matter. The look on her face when she saw how you trashed your old room is quite amusing."

Gaara set down the teddy bear head, and began to change from his normal clothes, to the clothing of the Kazekage for the meeting he would have with the council in the morning.

"In other words you were looking forward to mocking me all along, rather then helping."

"Why would I of all people help you? You're way to trusting kid."

Gaara stood up, and let his fingers drag against the top of the desk before he snatched the awkward teddy bear head so it hung from his hand, and the young Kazekage headed down to the kitchen to see if Temari was cooking anything for breakfast. His nose could pick up the distinct smells of cooking.

Temari stood at the stove, and in the sink were the pots and pans Kankuro would need to clean after the rather strange tasting meal from the night before. Gaara leaned against the doorway until Temari realized he was there, and turned around. "Good morning, little brother."

Gaara slipped over to the table, and set the stuffed animal onto the table. "I don't know what I'm doing wrong."

Temari took a break to pick up the stuffed animal, and a smirk spread across her face. "So my genius little brother actually isn't getting something on the first try."

"It's not funny."

"I'm laughing because I love you Gaara." Temari set the bear onto the table, and reached out to ruffle his hair, only to sigh upon realizing he'd already set the sand shield up. "Do you have to do that? You're hair is so soft you know."

"Still..." Gaara sat down in a chair at the table, and picked up the bear to stare at the object in question. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Temari thinking, and watched as she headed over to the sink to get something. She brought back one of his cacti, and set it on the table. "What is that for?"

"Try touching the needles."

Gaara's eyebrows rose up, and he sat the bear down in confusion. "You know I can't. My sand prevents me from doing such a thing."

"And right there is your problem." Temari folded her hands across her chest. "Part of the learning process, well, it's about pricking your finger a few times to feel what you're doing. So please, don't be so hard on yourself Gaara. Maybe Kankuro has some of he wooden parts for the other toys for you to sand. You like sanding things for Kankuro, don't you."

"Still..." Gaara felt Temari pat him on the shoulder.

"Just don't worry about it. Let me get you something to eat." Temari headed to the stove, and soon brought Gaara back to eat. She sat down across from him, and ate her own food, but eventually she looked up to see that Gaara was picking at his food. "Something the matter."