00; assassination

THE MAN WAS APPROACHING THE FALLEN BOXES THAT THE GIRL HAD PUSHED OVER, HER PRESENCE STILL UNKNOWN TO THE JANITOR. His back was facing her. She licked her lips as her eyes painted a target on his body. The girl stepped out from behind the shelves and slammed shut the door at the entrance of storeroom. The man looked up at her. His face was weathered; kind; fatherly.

He had confusion written all over his face. "Naomi," he said. "What are you doing in here? This is strictly staff only."

"I'm sorry," she replied steadily, lips only trembling the slightest bit. In one swift movement, a simple flick of the wrist, the knife slid from her fingertips and soared towards him in a perfect arc—just the right spin. It buried itself up to the hilt in the side of his neck, blood pouring onto the pearl marble floor. His mouth opened in a pitiful noise and the girl slid forward, dodging his body slightly but grabbing his face and yanking it back. Her hand covered his mouth as she held his convulsing body to her chest. "Shh."

Her face was steady, as if carved by marble, nose flaring only once. His cries died in his throat, as did the pulse in his veins.

Naomi held him still as the last spasm rippled through him, before he stilled against her, lips falling open against her closed fingers. There was silence, and crimson dripped down his throat. She was emotionless, only her eyes showed the deep pain, but no tears welled in them. She wouldn't cry—not today, not ever.

She was willing to sacrifice everything to keep Charlotte alive.

Ω Ω Ω

This is book one of the Dangerous Game Series

Chapters will be posted every Monday and Thursday, perhaps more often if I'm feeling inspired!

The playlist for the story is here if people are interested: https://open.spotify.com/user/clexaflowercrowns/playlist/6sHlp9BFCXMArgnievxwSj