24; the day she dies

"God save us from people who mean well."

― Vikram Seth, A Suitable Boy

➳ ➳ ➳

"CLARKE!" JASPER WAS SCREAMING AS THE GATES SWUNG OPEN."We need Clarke!" Naomi pushed through the crowd, shoving people out of her way. She barged past and ran up to Jasper. Octavia was in his grip, limping.

Naomi tore the girl from Jasper and pulled her into a long, tight hug. O wrapped her arms around Naomi's neck. "Bellamy told me," Octavia said. "I wasn't sure if it was true."

"Yeah," murmured Naomi. Octavia was drenched in mud, hair tangled around her shoulders. She had red marks on her wrists. She bore grazes along her chin and forehead. Naomi helped Octavia off her leg. "What happened?"

Octavia winced. "A grounder took me," she said. Naomi looked up at her, eyebrows furrowed. "He didn't hurt me. I twisted my ankle."

Naomi nodded, helping to hold her. She turned her gaze towards the group, to see that they were holding a boy in their arms. A knife was sticking from his ribs. "Oh, shit. Finn." She let go of Octavia and rushed towards the boy. Clarke pushed past her.

"Finn. Finn? Oh my god!" She pressed her fingers to his neck. "He's alive. Get him into the drop-ship—now!"

Noe moved around them to grab onto Bellamy. "What happened?"

"The grounder attacked us," he said. "He stabbed Finn."

Naomi touched the base of his throat. "You're hurt," she said. There was a small gash filled with dried blood. A bruise had begun to form. Bellamy winced as she pressed a soft finger against it. She gazed, hands gently resting against the wound.

"Hey." Bellamy took her face in his hands, forcing her to look at him. His eyes were gentle. "Are you okay?"

"Okay?" she repeated. She let her head rest in her hands before she nodded slowly. "Mmm..." Her eyes were unfocused and distant. She hung her hand against his arm but stayed still.

He shook her head slightly. "Naomi. Have you been sleeping?"

She pulled her lips together. "No. But I'm—"

"Get some sleep," he told her.

Naomi moved her head away from his hands slowly. "I need to be with Finn," she said.

"Then sleep in the drop-ship. But you need rest. Grief—"

"I'm fine."

Octavia went to walk past them, through the gates. Naomi couldn't blame her—the forest was tempting, in all its glory. The life was intoxicating. So Naomi let her pass, blinking slowly from exhaustion and grief.

Bellamy stepped away from her. "Hey. Hey!" He moved to block Octavia's exit. "You're not going back out again."

Octavia took a step backwards and Naomi moved to step next to her. "I can do whatever I want."

"Why were you defending him?" asked Bellamy. "I saw you in that cave. You—"

The younger sibling attempted to move past him. "Because he saved my life. That spear that hit Roma was meant to—"

He stopped her. "No, you're wrong. I saved your life. For all you know, he was keeping you alive to use you as bait for one of those traps!"