26; you know

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?"

― Mary Oliver

➳ ➳ ➳

FAIR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER IS ACTUALLY QUITE BLOODY AND DISTURBING. NAOMI HALLUCINATES SO IF YOU GET QUEASY REALLY EASILY DON'T READ.

THE FOREST WAS SILENT, SAVE FOR THEIR FOOTSTEPS. The position of the sun above indicated that it was midday. Naomi couldn't recall how long they had been walking for. She held Clarke's map in her hands, which marked the supply depot they had to retrieve.

Bellamy walked beside her. After a moment he held a paper bag out to her. She furrowed her eyebrows and tried to avoid his gaze. He kept it held out towards her. With a grumble she snatched the bag from his hands, giving him a slight smile with narrowed eyes. She peered into the bag. "What are these?"

Bellamy shrugged. "Jasper found them."

"And we just automatically assumed they were safe?" Naomi raised her eyebrows at her companion.

"No one's died yet."

She made a face before putting a handful in her mouth. "Whatever," she said. They were nuts, she discovered. Not any kind she had ever tasted. She made a face at him. Then she motioned to his pack. "Why'd you pack so many, anyway? It's meant to be a day trip."

Bellamy shrugged. "Can't be too careful." Naomi accepted that answer, eyes still narrowed. They came to the top of the hill. It sloped down into a flooded area. Old buildings and debris were submerged in the water, creating a metal graveyard. "Wow," said Naomi, peering into the waste. She held the map in front of her face. "According to Clarke's map, the depot is supposed to be around here this area."

"There's got to be a door around here somewhere."

"Split up," Naomi suggested. "We'll cover more distance." She skidded down the hill and into the pine forest. Ahead of her, she could see Bellamy searching. Walked along the river bank until she found a piece of metal sticking from under a log. With a shove, she threw the tree branch to the side. Her fingers found a metal slab. "Hey. I think I found it!" Naomi brushed away the leaves, revealing the handle. "Bellamy!"

He moved down the hill towards her and tried to pull it open. "It's rusted shut," he swore.

Naomi tugged at it once before putting her hand on Bellamy's chest. "Move," she said. Naomi drew Wampleiswis, owl pommel resting against her fingers. With a strong stroke, she buried her blade into the rusted lock. It snapped in two and the metal shifted. "Okay."

Bellamy moved beside her and pulled hard. Slowly, the hatch shifted upwards to reveal a staircase into a bunker. Cobwebs riddled the insides.

"Ladies first," Bellamy joked. Naomi rolled her eyes and walked into the depot. She turned on her flashlight as Bellamy ducked under the roof. "You really think this place hasn't been touched since the war?" he asked, voice echoing in the large, empty space.

Naomi looked around, flashlight flickering in the dark. "Looks like it." She walked through the bunker, Bellamy following close behind.

The two descended another staircase. A skeleton was slumped against the railing. Naomi tilted her head and moved past it. "Hell of a place to die," said Bellamy.