07; dreamer

"We are all born free and spend a lifetime becoming slaves to our own false truths."

― Atticus Poetry, Love Her Wild: Poems

➳ ➳ ➳

"CLARKE, CLARKE, MULAN'S ON!" NAOMI CALLED FROM HER POSITION ON THE COUCH.

"Technically it was on 97 years ago," her dad mused.

Naomi stuck out her tongue at him. "Screw technically," she exclaimed. "I want to watch Mulan go 'BAM', 'BAM', 'BAM', and save China!" She fell back against the couch cushion dramatically.

Her father laughed and picked her up, placing the child on his lap. "You really like Mulan, don't you?"

"Yeah!" Naomi yelled, as loud as a child could. "And Mulan and Pocahontas, and Moana, and oh, oh, Merida! And Nim from Nim's Island! I want to live on an island, Daddy."

He held her close. "You will someday, sweetheart."

Naomi snuggled into his chest. "And I wish Ch—"

"Noe, we've talked about this," her father murmured. "Remember?"

She nodded. "Yes." Then she turned on his lap. "CLARKE! WELLS!"

Clarke came running around the corner in a blue dress, hair up in braids. "What is it?" she screamed back, hands pushed behind her back as she leaned forward to yell. Naomi's father covered his ears.

Naomi jumped up and down on her dad's knee. "Let's watch Mulan! Let's watch Mulan!"

"I'll watch Mulan!" Wells emerged through the door.

From the other side of the couch, Thelonious laughed as his son jumped beside him. "Such a ladies man."

Ew, no!" Wells and Naomi yelled at the same time. "Gross!" Both of the fathers laughed.

At the doorway, Clarke was pouting. "Mulan, Shmulan. I want to watch Bambi! Bambi! Bambi!" She began to chant.

Jake came up behind her, scooping Clarke into his arms. "Don't be difficult Clarke. We'll watch Bambi next time. Clarke whined, but didn't argue, snuggling up to her father as the movie began.

"You'll bring honour to us all!" Naomi sang, in a very loud, off-key note.

"You suck!" Clarke yelled, throwing one of the couch cushions at Naomi. "Stop singing!"

Jake gasped. "Clarke!"

The little devil giggled and Naomi leapt off her father's lap, clutching the cushion in her chubby hands. She flung herself through the air and slammed the pillow into Clarke's face.

"Don't be a meanie, Clarke—"

A loud groan cut Naomi from her thoughts, and she snapped back to reality. "We're here, Jasper," she said, pressing a damp cloth to his warm forehead. "We're here." Her other hand rested on his bicep.

He let out a louder moan and muttering continued downstairs. "Go back to sleep!" someone yelled.

"Don't listen to them," Clarke was saying to Jasper. "You're going to make it through this, okay?" Naomi touched Jasper's face, where a tear was forming in the corner of his eye.