04; not alone

"The sparrows jumped before they knew how to fly, and they learned to fly only because they had jumped."

― Lauren Oliver, Liesl & Po

➳ ➳ ➳

"HEY, DOVE, WAKE UP." Someone shook Naomi by the shoulder.

She groaned and rolled over to she was pressed into the grass. "I fucking told you not to call me Dove."

"It's cute," Finn said before he tapped her shoulder again. "We're leaving."

Naomi mumbled something incoherent and forced her multi-coloured eyes open. She was met by the sight of grass brushing against her eyelids. Naomi sat up, wiping her eyes and clutching her hip as she moved it too quickly. "Ow."

"Rise and shine, buttercup," Octavia said.

"Mmm," Naomi groaned. "Calm down."

"She's not a morning person," Clarke explained. "Socked me in the face once."

Naomi turned herself over. "You deserved it."

Clarke made a noise of protest. Naomi forced her body up, pushing her hands against the ground and groaning at the pain in her side. That was going to take a while to heal.

"You still good?" Monty asked her.

She looked up at him and grinned. "Yeah," she said, a grunt tinging at the edge of her words. She gave him a thumbs up and Monty returned it lightheartedly. Naomi grabbed onto Finn to haul herself up. "When our people come down here," she breathed, "and they have guns... I'm gonna shoot that bastard in the face, see how he takes it."

Finn shook his head and chuckled softly as Clarke examined her father's map again. "We're almost there, just a few kilometres further."

"Hngg," Naomi said and wrapped her arms around Finn. "You're my walking stick now."

He laughed and put his arm around her shoulder as she limped.

"Still sore?" Clarke asked.

"Mhmm," Naomi replied, gripping her hip. "Scaly bastard got me good."

Clarke examined her walk. "I'll change the bandaging again tonight."

"Again?" Jasper asked. "I've already lost half of my shirt." Naomi laughed.

"Bellamy is going to be so upset that I got you injured, O," Noe said, looking over at her friend. "He might kill me before this wound does."

"Stop worrying about my brother," said Octavia, looking at her. "You saved my life—he'll be more worried about you."

Naomi smiled at Octavia, giving her a gentle wink before she leant back on Finn. Naomi, instead of dwelling on the pain of movement, focused on the feeling of moisture in the air; the smell of recently wet earth that never seemed to go away; and the lit sky—painted with an array of pinks and oranges and purples: an artist's mistake.

After a while, Finn and Naomi began to fall behind. "You good, Dove?" he asked.

Naomi shoved him with her body slightly. "I told you not to call me that."

"Right, cause like Murphy said, you're not innocent?" Finn said, gazing down at her with a teasing expression.

"Mhmm."

He touched her shoulder. "So what then, Naomi Casterly, makes you not innocent? Apart from the fact you can totally beat up a guy twice your size."