Chapter 22

HELLO MY LOVELY PEOPLE!! I KNOW IT HAS BEEN ETERNITY AND I AM SO SORRY. I just went through a time where I was not feeling not inspired but I PUSHED through and here is a hot off the press chapter! I'm already working on the next ones so hopefully it won't be long before another chapter comes out. Happy reading Narnians!

_________________________

There had to be an endless supply of enemy soldiers.
Peter heard Lucy cry out, and he immediately searched the scene, looking for the cause of her cry.

And then he saw it.

Time froze.

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion.
He saw a blade suddenly jerk out of Caspian's chest and froze in shock as he saw his friend arch his back and squirm in discomfort. He looked into a set of eyes he thought he would never see again. Vellum..
    What in the name of Aslan was going on here? Something wasn't right. Nothing at all. In his peripheral, he saw Lucy swoon and tumble to the ground in what he assumed was shock. His senses suddenly returned when someone decided to strike towards him. He miraculously blocked it and killed the inexperienced soldier easily. All while having his mind only on Lucy and Caspian. What could he do? Lucy was unconscious so she could not heal Caspian. If Caspian died Narnia would lose their king. Plus, Vellum was still alive somehow. What was going on here? Nothing was seeming to add up at all. There were no reinforcements. What if they sent scouts, saw the number of troops Vartan somehow hid for who knows how long, and got cold feet? Nothing is making sense!
Peter continued to slay man after man while trying desperately to organize his jumbled thoughts and plots. What should he do? Everything seemed hopeless. He knew Lucy would be fine. Everyone would take her for dead when they would see her spewed out on the ground. That left Caspian and Vellum. He turned toward Caspian's direction and saw Vellum yank his sword out of Caspian's chest. That did not leave him much time. There was no object to block the wound and that left no resistance for blood.
He suddenly heard someone cry out and turned, looking to the familiar voice and dreading what he might see. "Oh please no not Elwyn." He found himself muttering under his breath. But even as he said it he knew it would make no difference. It was Elwyn.
Seeing the pain on her face felt like a piercing to his heart, and he suddenly realized that no one in the brigade was wearing any armor. And it tortured him when he saw the pain reach her eyes with an arrow deeply planted in her side. Peter's heart broke at the thought of losing her, and he suddenly felt all sorts of emotions swimming inside of him. Feelings he did not know he had. What was wrong with him? Did he have feelings for her that went beyond friendship? Why now? He had come in contact with plenty of beautiful women in his day but what exactly was it that had suddenly ensnared him into her reins? He knew he did not have an answer for that, but all he did know was that he needed to help her. She was not a far distance from him, and neither was Lucy. He could retrieve her cordial, put a drop in Elwyn's side and she could continue fighting. But what if Edmund got wounded, or someone further away, far from reach did as well. What then?
He contemplated his drastic thoughts and continued to execute soldiers easily.
     How long would they be able to last with people passing around a cordial? Not long enough. There was too many living bodies fighting against them, there was no point. The only hope he had was one thing. One task. And that was to kill Vellum. It was far time for him to pay his dues. But he still wanted to help Elwyn. He turned and looked at the subject of his thoughts, and his heart fell. She was standing close to Trumpkin but the color had drained form her face and she looked weak from over exerting herself with a gaping wound in her side. She needed help. But he could not get the cordial without being noticed by Vellum because Lucy was too close to him. The only thing he could do was kill Vellum first and get to her later. That was the only hope he had. Peter began to edge away from the swarm of troops and moved toward Vellum with determination. As he moved closer, he could see Vellum whispering something into Caspian's ear, and he suddenly felt enraged. He started sprinting the distance, holding his gore filled sword up high and let out his battle cry. Vellum threw Caspian to the ground and jumped up suddenly, positioning himself for the hit. Peter threw his sword downward towards Vellum's neck, but the burly man easily blocked the blow with his own blade.
"How are you still alive." Peter growled as he and Vellum began to slowly circle each other.
    "We have our sunflower cordial or whatever you call it too you know." Vellum sneered.
"But Caspian killed you. He cut your head off!" Peter said through gritted teeth.
"Oh that. It was all a deception. It was another man who was dressed as me. The dungeon was dark Peter, it was an easy mistake."
   "I do not believe you."
"Oh Peter, you don't get it do you?" Vartan snickered. "This was just an act. My father made you think you escaped on your own with your little queen, she was the bait, and you foolishly took it." Vellum giggled as if he were a child who knew a secret but would not tell what it was.
   "But what was the point of all of this?" Peter asked tirelessly.
"Revenge for what they did to us." Vellum said icily.
"That is not what I was asking Vellum," Peter stated. "I was asking what the whole point of overthrowing a kingdom and slaughtering thousands of innocent soldiers and creatures was?" Vellum's face began to turn a deep crimson.
Peter continued. "In fact Vellum, I do not even think this taste for bloodshed has anything to do with you. I think your father was the sociopath."
"How dare you." Vellum growled, and Peter knew he had hit a soft spot.
"Yes," he continued confidently. "I believe you simply grew tiresome of your father's bitterness. So tired in fact, that you might have believed if you and him achieved his lifelong goal, that he would return home to you and you all would live happily ever after. Father finally noticing he had a son who just wanted his affections in return." Peter concluded as he continued to circle Vellum-whose face had changed from a deep red, to snow white.
Suddenly, There was a blur of movement that caught Peter's eye on the edge of his peripheral. He turned his head slightly to see who or what the movement was, and his heart stopped when he realized what was happening.