Chapter 24

"He is all yours." Peter said firmly, sheathing his sword and backing away so Caspian could face Vellum. His sword drawn, Caspian studied Vartan's spawn. The man who had almost succeeded in killing him. He had no idea what he was going to do with Vellum.
     Caspian contemplated his options. He could end the man's life in seconds. The Narnian law clearly states that no creature guilty of attempting assassination to a Royal should live. It is the law. But on the contrary, did the man know any better? It was not Vellum's fault that he was raised by a father whose mind was poisoned into seeking revenge.
       He saw slight movement out of his peripheral vision and looked over. Lucy, Edmund, Eustace, and Elwyn were all standing next to Peter. As Caspian looked into each of their eyes, he had no doubt that they would support any decision he would make regarding Vellum and his army, but he could clearly see that they all knew what the right decision was. He looked at Lucy again who slowly nodded at him, giving her support. But Caspian knew what Lucy would do, which was the right thing. And if Lucy had taught him anything, it was that forgiveness is far more powerful than justice.
      He drew a deep breath before speaking. "Vellum, today your life will not be taken from you. You and your men will be escorted out of the country and are banished for a minimum of ten years, which I believe is generous. This will provide you the opportunity to live a peaceful life. The life you never had the privilege of having. So I tell you, be at peace. Raise a family. Be content. However, if my scouts, messengers, or any loyal Narnian hears even the faintest whisper of a rebellion forming under you, that will be the last thing you will ever do. Do you understand?"
   Vellum nodded gratefully.
"Safe travels Vellum." He said with finality as he sheathed his sword.
   Vellum nodded and began walking toward the Northern borders. Caspian knew Vellum had a long journey ahead till he reached the Wild Lands, but he knew that Vellum would be smiling the whole way. It would be the first time the man had no one pressuring him, and for the first time, he could make his own decisions in life. The reinforcement troops primarily escorted the Harfangians north, leaving the wounded soldiers behind. There was a serious and quiet environment that hung in the air. Caspian slowly turned and faced Lucy, Peter, Edmund, Elwyn, Trumpkin, and Eustace. He took a slow deep breath.
"It is over," Caspian stated. "And I am grateful you all were by my side."
Lucy slowly walked towards him and into his arms. They held each other for several moments, not saying a word.
"I am so proud of you." She finally whispered. Caspian responded by squeezing her tighter and was about to respond when he heard someone clear their throat.
"Oh really Caspian, where is my hug."
   "My apologies, Eustace." Caspian smiled as he embraced the young man. "You know, we would have been victorious far sooner if we had had a dragon to scare those soldiers away."
  "Yes indeed, but though as 'tempting' as that may be, it appears you were able to figure something out." Eustace chuckled.
"Well I believe you were apart of the victory. I am assuming you were sent here?" Caspian asked.
"Yes, Aslan sent me." Eustace replied. "And, as I am sure all of you know," he turned and faced the rest of the party, "I am not the best swordsman, so Aslan sent me to the Lone Islands to first learn more about battles and fighting and such. He told me that these skills may be important at a later time. But anyways, I spent almost four weeks out of Narrowhaven and that's how I met Elwyn."
"You know Elwyn?" Lucy asked.
"As I live and breathe." He replied before continuing. "She was sent to help you, while I was sent here to gather an army. She was far more advanced in battle by the time I met her, but I learned quickly. To be honest I believe I am a better fighter than her if I do say so myself." He said proudly.
"Oh come now Eustace don't be daft." Elwyn snorted.
   "Oh don't beat yourself up for it Elwyn," Eustace smirked. "It will be our little secret."
   Elwyn rolled her eyes, making Eustace chuckle, while Edmund maintained a serious look on his face.  "But Eustace, if you were sent to Narnia, then to be perfectly frank, why did our reinforcements take far too long to make an appearance?"
   "Ah yes." Eustace said seriously. "When scouts reported to the Lone Islands and Seven Isles that there were over twelve thousand enemy troops,  the allies immediately got cold feet and began sailing east towards the islands until I met them. That is perhaps the main reason Aslan sent me. He told me I was to remind them to have courage. And you better believe I made them feel courageous, either that or they were too afraid of me letting the 'British council' loose on them."
   "That would frighten them indeed." Peter retorted.
     "We are glad you are here Eustace." Ed said genuinely and clapped his cousin on the shoulder.
   Everything all seemed to be perfect until reality felt like a slap to Caspian and he stiffened.