Chapter Twenty-Two

The sunlight shining through the drapes that hung over the window is what woke me the next morning. I slowly opened my eyes and noticed that I was not in my room. I remembered then to last night that I came to Damon because I was upset about my nightmare. Just thinking about it again made me upset. I let my eyes adjust some more and realized that Damon was not in the room. I sat up and looked at the clock that was sitting on the table and saw that it was about ten in the morning. No wonder he wasn't here. I stretched and heard the bathroom door open. I looked over to see Damon walk out with a towel wrapped around his waist and he was still dripping wet and was drying his hair a bit with another towel. My eyes widened a bit and I immediately looked away. No matter how beautiful he was, I was not going to go there, not again.
"Morning sleepy head." he said. I didn't look at his face but I could tell he was wearing his signature smirk.
"Morning." I said a bit quietly. I heard him sigh and felt the bed dip beside me. I knew he was sitting beside me but I couldn't bare to look at him in the eyes. If I did I could possibly break into tears, and that is something I don't want to do.
"Look at me Bailey." he said quietly. I knew he was only trying to help but I ignored his request and shook my head. I felt tears start to brim around my eyes and knew they were about to fall. I bit my lip and took a deep breath in attempt to make them go away. I squeezed my eyes shut making a few tears slip from my eyes. I was about to wipe them away quickly only to be beat to it by Damon. I slowly tilted my head towards him and he gave a tight smile, and at that I broke. Tears ran down my face in an endless stream. Damon wrapped his arms tightly around me and held me to his chest as I cried and soaked his already wet torso with my tears. Damon tried soothing me with kind words, telling me everything would be okay.
"Everything will be okay Bailey. He will come back to you, and if he doesn't he's stupid." Damon said as he pulled away from me just a little so that he could see my face. He gave me one of his smiles that he always gives when he's trying to cheer someone up which made me crack a smile of my own. He wiped my tears and kissed my forehead trying to sooth me more. I looked up at him and gave him a tight smile.
"Thank you Damon." I said quietly with a sniffle. He winked at me and stood up and went to his drawers and got out his usual black shirt and black jeans and a pair of boxers. And at that it was my cue to leave. I got off of his bed and scurried to my own room shutting Damon's door behind me, but not before I heard him chuckle which only made me blush. As I went to my room I looked at the unmade bed and sighed knowing I would have to make it up. I walked over to it and started to make the bed. Once I was finished I scurried off to the bathroom making sure to take two towels with me. I started the shower to let it warm up and walked over to the sink and looked into the mirror. I looked like a mess. My hair was in knots and I had dark circles under my puffy eyes. It scared me to look at myself like this. I grabbed my toothbrush from the counter and the toothpaste and brushed my teeth. Once I was done the water was finally at the temperature I wanted it. I undressed and stepped in letting the warm water consume my body. As I was washing I sang a little tune that popped into my head. The song seemed very familiar to me yet I know I had no idea what it was. Once I was done with my shower routine I stepped out and dried off with one of the towels and wrapped it around my body. I then took the other one and started drying my hair. I walked back into my room and went to the closet to find something to wear for that day. Once I found an outfit that I was confident with I started getting ready for the day. Once I was finished I headed down the stairs and into the living room where Damon was standing by the fire with a glass of bourbon in his hand. I walked over to him and snatched the glass away and took a sip of it. As I did I looked at Damon to see him looking at me. I raised my eyebrows at him and handed him back his glass.
"What's on the agenda for today?" I questioned.
"Not sure really. I'm not much of a planning man." he said and took the last drink of his bourbon.
"That much I know." I chuckled. "Let's go do something. I have to get my mind off of Elijah before I go insane." I said and walked over to the couch and plopped down in the center of it.
"And what do you suppose we do? There isn't much to do in Mystic Falls." he said and came to sit next to me.
"You're right." I said and turned to face him. "How about we go on a road trip?' I questioned. It was a far fetch but there might be a slight chance he would say yes.
"And to where would we go?" he asked with raised eyebrows. I made a face as I was thinking about where to go which made Damon laugh and for me to slap his chest.
"Haven't been to New York in a while. What do you say?" I asked excitedly. He looked at me with a questioning glance and I pouted at him.
"Fine, we'll go to New York." he gave in. I squealed and hugged him tightly. This will be the perfect chance to get my head off of Elijah.
Not even two hours later Damon and I were on the road. We didn't even really bother to tell Stefan because he has enough going on and he doesn't need to be bothered about us, so we just left him a note telling him we left. We didn't give him many details, just that we were going to New York. We're not even sure as to when we will be back. Could be a day or two, could be a couple of weeks, who knows. I'm honestly surprised he would agree with this considering the whole Elena thing. I haven't been paying too much attention to it, which I should have been, but I have been having problems of my own. Not to mention Silas is still out there somewhere. I don't think he's in Mystic Falls, but that doesn't change the matter that he's still out there somewhere and he is very dangerous. Terrifying really.
The ride to New York was pretty entertaining. The car was filled with singing and laughing and joking around. It was a great trip. It was a drive that took about eight hours but it seemed to fly by. Then again Damon was probably speeding like a mad man. But before I knew it we were passing a "Welcome to New York" sign on the side of the road. We weren't quite to our destination yet, but we were close. A couple more hours and we'll be there.
"Here we are, New York City." Damon said as we entered the city. I got excited to see how it turned out. I haven't seen it in so long. I looked out the window to see a bunch of people walking on the side walks and many yellow taxis swarming the streets.
"Wow, it sure is busy." I said in awe as I continued to look around.
"How long has it been since you've been here?" he questioned. I looked over at him and shrugged.
"I don't know really, 80, 90, years." I said guessing. Truth be told I don't remember when the last time I was here. It surly did grow from what I remember.
"You don't get out much do you?" he questioned in a teasing tone. I hit his arm and rolled my eyes.
"For your information I usually travel outside of the country thank you very much." I scoffed at him. He chuckled and pulled the car up to a fancy looking hotel.
"Uh Damon, I don't have money for this." I said as he was getting out of the car.
"We're not staying here, I just need to see someone. Stay here." he said and shut his door and ran into the hotel. I sat there waiting patiently like he said. Ten minutes pass and I couldn't be more bored. I take out my phone and started playing a game on it. I'm not exactly sure what it's called but it's really addicting. Just as soon as I was about to pass my high score I get a call making me lose just before it. Whoever is calling must have a death wish. I looked at the called ID and saw that it was Elijah. I gulped but answered the phone.
"Hello?" I called through the phone.
"Hello love." Elijah said back. Him saying 'love' made my heart jump and my stomach do flips.
"How is everything?" I asked back almost scared of his answer.
"It's good. She trusts me, so that's a good sign, she still hasn't told me where it is though. I will find it though, and soon. I miss you." he said. He sounded kind of sad towards the end and it pained me to hear him like that.
"I miss you too Elijah. Just promise me you'll come home soon." I said and sniffled feeling tears start to brim my eyes.
"I promise." he answered. This made me smile. "And Bailey?"
"Yes?"
"I love you." he said sweetly. I smiled from ear to ear.
"I love you too." I answered back
"I gotta go, I just wanted to get in contact with you. Stay safe." he said with concern. I chuckled at him and nodded even though he couldn't see what I was doing.
"Okay. You stay safe as well Elijah. And don't give me none of that 'I'm an Original' crap either." I teased. He chuckled, which sounded like music to my ears.
"I will. I'll call you tomorrow. I love you."
"I'll be looking forward to it. Love you." and with that, the call was ended. So much for getting Elijah out of my head for the time being. After that it's not going to happen. Now I can't stop smiling, but at the same time my nightmare comes rushing back into my head and makes my smile disappear. Damon got back into the car was grinning like a lunatic.
"So where to?" he asked in a very chirpy tone.
"Where do you suggest?" I questioned, not really feeling like going anywhere now.
"I got the perfect place." he answered. And with that he turned on the car and we headed back out into the bumper to bumper New York City traffic towards a destination I had no idea about.

A/N ~Hey guys! So sorry for yet ANOTHER late update. I hope you guys enjoy it!