Chapter 10-What Was Possible

• Dedicated to Millery Cafro

If I couldn't be anymore obvious in the fact that I had feelings for Jerry. It was written on my face the next morning when I walked into Starbucks. I had a new smile on and without thinking, I was showing it off.

I ordered my drink and sat down at the small bistro table near the window. Creg was staring at me with confusion and 'the face". Creg worked at Starbucks ever since I lived in Boston and him and I would talk and sometimes go out shopping together when he wasn't going to the gay bar down the street. 

I looked up and Creg caught my eye and he immediately came over and slid into the chair across from me. He lifted his eyebrows as I giggled but then tried to stop myself. 

"Oh, here we go." He smiled huge, "What's his name?"

"Creg! C'mon, just because I'm happy doesn't mean-" I tried to protest

"Oh yes it does. I see that little glow, that little skip, that little, oh should I dare say it- giggle?"

I giggled again, "Seriously it's nothing." My phone started ringing immediately and I looked at the caller ID, it was my mom. Checking in- again. I clicked 'Silent' promising myself I would call back this time.

"Oh, was that him?" He asked sarcastically as he put his elbows on the table with his head in his hands. 

"No! That was my mom." I said.

"Oh! So you admit there is a 'he'. Let me see a picture of him. Do you have one on your phone?" 

I sighed, admitting I did. I pulled out a picture of him and I as we were on a boat on our way across the harbor to Old Iron Side one day.

Creg took a look at him for only a second before he said, "Oh my, oh my, is he hot. Does he have a brother?" When asked this, any other girl would smile, laugh, but with this circumstance, I had a feeling wash over me as he crossed my mind. Derek. 

Derek. Derek. Derek. 

Why was this so hard? 

I did it though, I did something wrong and I deserved to feel this way now. 

I kissed Jerry. I had feelings for Jerry. I wanted to be with Jerry. Jerry was Derek's brother.

All of the sudden, I couldn't breath, I felt completely numb before I felt dizzy. 

I had different thoughts now. I couldn't be all giddy now. I couldn't even fake it. It was that feeling again, and it was showing. 

"Lex? Honey, what's the matter?" Creg asked, but it felt like it was background noise. 

There was thoughts running through my head, there was memories lost inside. Then I remembered something from the past...

"C'mon Alexa! Let's go in the water!" He insisted

I opened my eyes, "C'mon Derek I'm trying to get some color on me." I was laying on the beach towel on my stomach, "I look so pale, it's hideous."

Derek layed next to me and put his hand on my back as he came near my ear to whisper, "You're beautiful to me. You don't need to be tan." He kissed my ear gently.

"Fine." I tried to brush off the butterfly feeling in my stomach that I got everytime. 

I started to get up and made my way over to the water's edge, "It's cold!" I shreaked.

"Oh well," Derek insisted as he lifted me like a baby and ran into the water.

We went right under as I felt the chill all around my body. I swam up to the surface and ran my fingers through my hair. Derek was already at the surface when I opened my eyes, "Wow," He breathed.

"What?" I asked as I smiled as I moved closer to him.

He grabbed me by the waist and brought me against him, "How did I get so lucky?"

I put my arms around his neck looking into his eyes.

"You didn't." I whispered as he put his hand on the back of my head and pushed it towards him as he brushed his wet lips against mine. 

"Oh yes I did." He whispered back as he smiled, kissing me again...