Chapter 13- Waking Ignorance

• Dedicated to T.J.M- (Don't you remember you saying that?)

"Hey Lex, what's going on?" He was nervous, obviously. I saw it coming from a mile away. 

I closed my locker and looked at his gorgeous face, "Nothing much and you?"

Derek looked me directly in the eyes, "Well, I was wondering if you wanted hang out later. Like after school or whatever," He rubbed his hands together and licked his lips.

I tried to keep my cool as I smiled softly, "Sure. Where do you want to meet?"

"Uh, How 'bout a movie? And then we hang at my house or whatever." He said as he looked down at the ground then back up at me.

Inside, my smile grew wider, "Cool. I'll see you then."

He grinned big, "Awesome. Okay, yeah..." He turned around but then turned back, "I'll pick you up at seven."

"Thanks." I barely got out.

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

My dream has officially came true.

Derek asked me out. Derek Williams, asked me out! If I died right after the date, I would have lived a happy life. I could scream right then and there...

I had awoken but I did not want to open my eyes, I wanted to see his face again and again and I wanted to kiss him, and touch him, and lay in his arms as he twisted his fingers through my hair.

Why was it so fucking hard?! Why did it hurt so much?! I wanted to scream! It had been five years and I felt like this, I wanted to die with him at first, but now I just wanted him back so bad. I remember how happy I was from the moment he had asked me out that one day in the eighth grade all the way until I got the letter. That god damn letter, the words that ruined my fucking life. That made me have these dreams. That made me run into flashbacks. I hated it! I hated this life without him! 

I then began to cry. Why did he have to join? What was the purpose? We could have still had a beautiful life together without the Marines. We would have gone to college together. He wanted to study history, I wanted to study art. He told me to go, to do exactly what I wanted to do. And I did. I just wish he was here to help me. Here to be with me. To tell me it was alright. But he wouldn't have to if he didn't join. If he didn't die. 

                                                      ********************************

My phone was ringing as I was restoring an  Édouard Manet painting. I jumped down from my stool, it was my mom. 

Ugh, I haven't picked up the phone in a week, so I might as well do it now.

"Hello?" I asked as I sat back down.

"Hey honey, haven't heard from you in a while. Whatcha up to?" 

"Mom, I'm working." I said blankly

She was a stay at home mom all my life so she never quite grasped the whole consep that I had to go to work.

"Oh right, right..." Her voice drifted, "So I was wondering..." Oh boy, "Maybe I could come visit you this weekend since I haven't see you in, what? Seven months? Eight months?"

I sighed, I did miss my mom and dad dearly, "Yeah sure mom. No problem, you can come up. Stay for the week if you want but just remember I have work, and Lily will be there after work." 

"Oh don't worry, I'll busy myself. I'll probably only stay for a long weekend."

"Okay. So umm.. How's dad?" I asked as I bit my lip.

She laughed, "He's fine. Misses you dearly. Wants to see you soon. He's at work right now but how about you call him around five or six? He said he was taking me out tonight. There's this new restaurant down at Mystic."

"Mmm, yummy. Sounds like fun. Have a good time." I said, I always remember going to Mystic as a kid at S & P Oyster Company (the best restaurant ever) and Mystic Pizza (just like the movie with Julia Roberts). 

"So... How's life?" She asked, she wanted to know something. I knew my mother all too well. Her and I had a very open relationship, I told her everything, and she told me everything. It was just the way it was. It always had been that way ever since I could remember. 

"Umm, How about I save it for in person?" I asked

"Uhh, honey, what's going on? Are you... Pregnant?!" She gasped

"No! That's not it, mom, it's just... I'll tell you later, kay?" I asked, I had to get back to work.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She asked, too concerned now.

"Yes mom, I'm okay. We'll talk later. I gotta get back to work. Restoring a Manet's paintings take a long time and I got to get it done soon." I told her.

"Okay, love you honey." 

"Love you too mom, bye." I looked at the phone and hung up. I put my phone back on the counter and sighed. I looked back at the painting and instead of seeing two people dancing, falling in love, I saw Derek and I that night on my birthday, dancing under the stars on the Mystic river on the boat he set up for me, the night he proposed to me...