14| The Voicemail.

It was Thursday night. Tomorrow was a game with our rivals, The Howling Wolves. Lilli was next to me, watching American Horror Story; personally, I hated the show. Since she was so interested in it, I figured I, too, would watch it. So far, it hasn't grabbed my attention as I expected.

Cooper appeared next to Lilli, scaring her. "Cooper! When did you get here?" She had her hand to her heart. "Knock much?" I asked, annoyed. Cooper didn't apologize for his dramatic behavior from the other day. I guess he figured acting like nothing happened would be better.

The doorbell raring, I opened it to the pizza delivery guy. I handed him the needed cash, signed the receipt, and grabbed the two boxes of pizza.

I sat them on the kitchen counter. Coop entered the kitchen.

"I think we should talk." He leaned against the counter. I ate a slice of pizza "about?"

He sighed. "I don't want us to be mad at each other."

I faked a smile, "why would I be mad?"

"Quinn, seriously, hear me out for once!" I shook my head. I was so tired of hearing Coop say that same thing over and over again. "Cooper, I've heard you. I just don't care." I said, running my fingers through my hair.

Lilli grabbed a plate, putting three pieces of pizza on it, and hurried out. She then yelled something about the show. "Quinn-" Cooper started.

I interjected, "What's Andre done that's so dangerous I need to stay away from him?" He seemed pretty harmless to me. I mean, sure, he's super flirtatious and also super annoying, but that's about it.

"I don't think it's my place to tell." I scoffed. "You're willing to go around saying he's such a terrible person but can't even mention one thing he's done...unbelievable."

Cooper looked at his feet, "I'm sorry."

This time my anger didn't falter, "Lately, that's all you've been, guess what, sorry isn't enough!" Cooper looked taken back, not expecting my reaction.

"Well, I don't know what else to do!" He yelled. I smiled.

"Maybe you could get the hell out of my house, how 'bout that?" Cooper walked out of the house, slamming the door.

Lilli paused her show, looking up with confusion. "What just happened?" I shrugged; I was tired of all this, I needed to rest, "just Cooper being Cooper," I mumbled.

"I'm sure he'll come around, Quinn." I looked at Lilli with doubt. "I don't think that's even possible." She had a small smile. "I'm going to sleep." Usually, I would never sleep this early, but I'd only be caught up in my thoughts if I stayed up. "It'll get better, Quinn." I sure hope so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometime in the middle of the night, I woke up. I couldn't fall back asleep, as hard as I tried. I grabbed my phone. One voicemail was visible on the screen. I clicked it and noticed it was from Cooper.

I played it, why I don't know. I wondered what it would be about, most likely Andre. I listened carefully. "Quinn, this is Cooper, course you know that." It was silent for a while; I almost thought it ended.

"Anyways, I'm calling to tell you about Andre." Of course. "Maybe he's not dangerous around you-" like I said. "But, he once was."

Once, meaning in the past, why should that bother me?

"He's done drugs, smoked cigarettes, and he's even beat a guy so bad he ended up in the hospital." He can't be serious; I didn't believe him. "Quinn, I just don't want you to be subjected to that, okay?" I know Cooper means well, but I can think for myself.

"I know you don't need me to protect you." You've got that right! Glad he's at least got that through his head.

"But, no one wants to see their friend in pain. I hope this helps you decide whether you really wanna be with Andre." The voicemail ended.

Way to put another weight on a girl's shoulders!

*About 200 words shorter than the original, sorry again.*