20| Fear of Love

Winter break was over, that meant seeing Andre. It also meant school work. I closed Cooper's car door shut. We walked towards the building with each other.

"You think I could see Lilli at prom?" He asked. He seemed really hooked on her even after she left. "I don't think so, Coop." I chuckled.

"Yeah, too much noise." Not just that, he'd have to walk around with a device, talking to it. What would he do when he wanted to eat with her, she's not physically there or for dancing, what, is he just going to wiggle his cellphone?

"Are you guys official?" They most likely weren't but, it could've happened. Without me knowing, now that would be messed up. "No, and it's because of you!" We entered the building. "How is it my fault again?" I asked.

"She thinks you'd be upset that we're hanging out." She was right.

Lilli spent most of her time with Coop when she originally came to see me. "As long as she still spends time with me too." I shrugged.

"Wanna go to prom with me?" Cooper suddenly asked.

"Wh-" Copper interrupted me, "As friends, prom buddies to keep each other in check."

I rolled my eyes. "I know. I was going to ask what about Lilli?"

Cooper stayed silent for a moment.

"I think I'm giving up at the moment. Lilliana is clearly playing hard to get." He shrugged. I chuckled. Cooper was so dramatic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking into class late, the only seat left was in front of Andre.

My stomach tightened when I saw Evelyn Johnson running her fingers up and down Andre's arm. I hadn't seen them together for a long time. I hate saying I enjoyed them away from each other.

She giggled as Andre whispered in her ear, disturbing me. I took out my needed materials, trying to focus.

I was writing my notes when she giggled again.

"Can you guys keep it down? Some people actually want to learn." I glared at the two.

"Gwen, could you mind your own business? Some people actually try to enjoy life." What was that supposed to mean?

"It's Quinn." I gritted.

"I hope you're paying attention, Quinn." Ms. Peña called out. Usually, I would have been embarrassed, but I was too angry to feel ashamed.

"You know I think it's stupid that you're mad at me," I mumbled.

I saw Andre tighten his fist. "Quinn, don't do this."

I shot back, "you don't do this!"

Ms. Peña turned around."Quinn and Andre, detention now!" The whole class watched as we walked out.

"You know you could be less of a drama queen." I gritted as we walked down the hall.

I never knew Andre would be so butt hurt about not having his way. "I think you've taken that position from me," he muttered, and I rolled my eyes.

"I can't help that I'm not ready for a relationship." I narrowed my eyes at him.

Was it so bad that I didn't throw myself onto him, like every other girl might I add.

"That's bullsh*t. You can say you aren't ready but, you're just afraid."

I scoffed, "afraid of what?" There was nothing to be afraid of.

"Of trusting me! You think because what I've done in the past justifies the future that we'd have together." I kept walking, no longer responding.

"It's honestly a pathetic excuse."

I wanted to cry, I couldn't say why, but I did. I felt pathetic, taking Andre's crap.

"That's funny considering all the stupid things you've done, and I have yet to judge you." I spat, walking into detention, full of anger.

"Andre, buddy, you were doing so well." Mr. Swade said with a disappointed smile.

He looked towards me, sighing. "Great, you brought a friend!"

Andre mumbled, "we aren't friends." I took a seat watching as Marty Wyatts greeted him."Andre, haven't seen you here in a while!"

I couldn't see Andre's face, but I imagined his rolling his eyes, "Didn't Coach say no more detention?"

Marty smacked his teeth. "He'll be alright." He waved his hand in dismissal.

"Quit staring. It's rude." I overlooked Brandi; she sat right of me. She was looking at her manicured nail, twiddling her thumbs.

"Oh great, it's you!" I said sarcastically.

"I can understand why you'd hate me." Hate is a strong word. I don't think I disliked her to that extent.

"I only bothered you because I was jealous," she scoffed.

Why was she telling me this? "I thought you were taking away anyone I ever liked. I couldn't understand why they liked you." Was that an insult?

"Why are you tel--"

Brandi shot me a look, "let me finish."

I closed my mouth, waiting for her to speak. "When I met Ashley, I thought you were taking her too." I can't believe she actually thought that. I never intended to make her feel that way.

"Why haven't you said anything until now?" I asked, and she scoffed. "I'd only seem like some jealous b*tch."

Oh, she wasn't already going for that?

"I didn't want Ashley to push me away." When in the end, Brandi was actually the one to push Ashley away...

"You should talk to Ash," I said, sympathetically.

"She misses you."

Brandi smiled, "I miss her too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Guess what?" Ashley flopped on my bed. I looked up from my homework. From the smile on her face, it must have been good news.

"What?" I asked. She laid on her back, looking at the ceiling.

"Brandi asked me to prom!" Ashley squeaked.

"That's great news, Ash!"

She giggled and blushed. "Yeah! It's fantastic news." She smiled to herself.

"Hooray for you, you have an actual date to prom while I'm stuck with Quinn!" Cooper said sarcastically. I looked on the floor and rolled my eyes.

I forgot Cooper was on my bedroom floor having a pity party about not going to prom with Lillianna.

"I'm not that bad," I commented.

"You're not bad at all but, you're not Lilli." He groaned.

"Plus, I thought you were giving up," I added.

Cooper chuckled, "I don't think I'm ever going actually to give up on Lilli. I like her too much." He said with a big grin on his face.

Why don't you ask her to her school's prom?" I thought aloud.

Lilli's prom was the week after our dance. Cooper had enough time to get there and go with her.

"That's a perfect idea; that way, I'll be able to go with my two favorite girls," Cooper said, happiness lacing his voice.

"I feel the love, Cooper, I feel the love," Ashley mumbled sarcastically.