two

⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀maddie

⠀⠀⠀"Can you drive any slower?" Mackenzie sighed, leaning on the side of the car door.

⠀⠀⠀"If I drive any faster I'll get pulled over, and you'll never make it to your party." I turned the radio up to drown out the sound of Mackenzie complaining.

⠀⠀⠀"Turn the music down. I'd like to hear myself think," she snapped at me.

⠀⠀⠀"Yeah, it would be easier if you had a brain to do it with." I turned the music up louder.

⠀⠀⠀"Maddie, seriously! My ears are bleeding over here," she exaggerated.

⠀⠀⠀"It's my car, I get to choose."

⠀⠀⠀"Good thing Dad's not here, he'd be disappointed in you." Mackenzie smirked, knowing she'd hit a soft spot.

⠀⠀⠀I paused the music and looked over at Mackenzie. "You did not just say that."

⠀⠀⠀"I think I did," she said, her smirk growing by the second.

⠀⠀⠀"Take it back or I'm turning around," I threatened.

⠀⠀⠀"I can't take it back. It's true."

⠀⠀⠀"Mackenzie Francis Ziegler, don't ever talk about him."

⠀⠀⠀"Maddie-"

⠀⠀⠀"No, Mackenzie. I don't want to listen to you complain and talk about him! I'm trying, Mackenzie. I really am. I want to be a good sister, but you're not making it easy. Honestly, I sometimes wish you were never born."

⠀⠀⠀"No, Maddie look!" Mackenzie stared in shock at something out the windshield.

⠀⠀⠀I turned to look, exasperated, and there was a big truck, coming straight towards us through the dark.

⠀⠀⠀The last thing I remember before everything went black was a huge crashing noise, scraping of metal, and being tossed and turned.

⠀⠀⠀"M-Mackenzie?" I croaked out. I was lying on a cemented road, under what I realized was a car. Searing pain was felt throughout my body in more places than I could name. When I tried moving, I felt a sharp pain in my upper side.

⠀⠀⠀"The other ones underneath, we have to move the car." I heard voices and commotion from above me.

⠀⠀⠀"Hang in there, we're going to get you out," a voice yelled to me.

⠀⠀⠀"Where's my sister?" I called out.

⠀⠀⠀"Just sit tight, we're going to get you out."

⠀⠀⠀"Where's my sister!" I yelled again.

⠀⠀⠀My question was ignored again. "Are you hurt?" the voice called out.

⠀⠀⠀"I- well, yes, I can't move," I called out.

⠀⠀⠀I heard a sigh in response to my very specific description.

⠀⠀⠀"Just hold on and don't move- we don't know how serious your injuries are yet. We'll get you out as soon as we can."

⠀⠀⠀Honestly, I didn't care how serious my injuries were, or if I needed stitches or surgery. I just wanted my sister.