six

⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀maddie

⠀⠀⠀I opened my eyes, and nurses, Doctor Reynolds, my mom, and Levi were crowded around me.

⠀⠀⠀"Congratulations, Maddie- your first successful surgery." Doctor Reynolds smiled at me and everyone clapped.

⠀⠀⠀"I'm so proud of you, Maddie. You did great," my mom praised.

⠀⠀⠀"Does this mean I can see Kenzie now? Since my spine is healed?" I ignored the praise and weakly begged.

⠀⠀⠀"It's not healed yet- it still has to heal from the surgery, and your knee still isn't fixed," a nurse informed me.

⠀⠀⠀I sighed. "At this rate I'll never be able to see her."

⠀⠀⠀I knew they were lying about why I couldn't go; they could just wheel me to Mackenzie if they really wanted. They were hiding me from something, but I didn't know what.

⠀⠀⠀My bed was wheeled back into my hospital room, and I was given a fresh hospital gown to change into. I was given dinner and pain killers before the nurses cleaned my cuts.

⠀⠀⠀"Goodnight, Maddie," a nurse called out before leaving and shutting the door. As soon as the door shut, it was opened again. Levi stood in the doorway with a wheelchair at his feet.

⠀⠀⠀"Levi? What are you doing here. Only family's allowed to visit after nine," I croaked out.

⠀⠀⠀"I'm not breaking any rules- I'm taking you to visit family," he said with a smile. All I could do was smile back.

⠀⠀⠀As soon as he got me out of the bed and into the wheelchair while moving me a minimal amount, we were off to see Kenzie.

⠀⠀⠀"Where'd you get the wheelchair? They're only available for nurses and doctors to use for patients," I whisper-laughed as Levi pushed me down the hall.

⠀⠀⠀"Well you're a patient, so I figured they wouldn't mind if I just borrowed it for an hour," he replied. I laughed and we continued down the hall to Mackenzie.

⠀⠀⠀"Wait, Maddie. Are you sure you want to see Kenzie?" Levi stopped right outside the door to her room.

⠀⠀⠀"Of course I'm sure. She's my sister, and I haven't seen her in over a week. I know everyone's trying to hide me from something, and I just want to know what," I responded.

⠀⠀⠀"Well now that I think about it, maybe it's just best that we go back. You're not supposed to move; you can damage your injuries even more. Plus, if there's something the doctors don't want you to see I would just respect that," Levi said hesitantly.

⠀⠀⠀"Ok, who are you and where's the real Levi? Because he would let me see my sister and not hide me from her. He doesn't care about what the doctors say; he would help me."

⠀⠀⠀"Maddie, it's not like that-"

⠀⠀⠀"I think it is," I quipped back.

⠀⠀⠀"Maddie, just hear me out," he begged.

⠀⠀⠀"No! I'm going to see my sister. I don't care if I permanently damage my knee or ribs or anything!"

⠀⠀⠀He sighed. "Fine, just please don't get up. I really don't want you to get hurt."

⠀⠀⠀I nodded, and he slowly pushed me into her room. And honestly, with what I saw, I wish I had listened to Levi and stayed away from Mackenzie for a while.