four

⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀mackenzie

⠀⠀⠀Being in a coma is weird- I can hear everything, but I can't see or move. It's like a weird dream.

⠀⠀⠀"Hey, Mackenzie." I heard a voice, immediately recognizing it as Maddie. I wanted to hug her, to tell her how I really felt, but I couldn't.

⠀⠀⠀"I had to escape an angry doctor, mom, and boyfriend to get here. I'm pretty sure when I get out of this hospital I'm grounded for possibly making my injuries worse," she said with a slight laugh. "I got a concussion and I need stitches and multiple surgeries, but I shouldn't complain. You probably have to go through a lot more than me."

⠀⠀⠀I knew how terrified Maddie was of needles, shots, and basically anything related to blood- I wanted to comfort her so badly, but instead I was just lying here, uselessly.

⠀⠀⠀"I just wanted to apologize," she whispered through her tears. "I don't know if you can hear me, or if you even want to hear me, but I really am sorry. We're going to fight, and at times we'll think we hate each other, but none of what we say is true. I know you didn't mean what you said about me and dad, and I know you don't hate me. I'm really sorry, I wish you were here. I love you." Maddie stopped trying to hold back her tears, and I could hear her sobbing.

⠀⠀⠀I wanted to apologize to her, but I couldn't. I couldn't do anything.

⠀⠀⠀She continued through her sobs. "This is my fault. I over reacted to what you said, and I looked away. If I hadn't gotten so mad, you would still be with me. This is my fault."

⠀⠀⠀"Madison Nicole Ziegler, get back to your-" a voice began to yell out, but suddenly came to a stop.

⠀⠀⠀My mom.

⠀⠀⠀"Mackenzie..." Her voice got closer, and I heard her sit on my bed.

⠀⠀⠀"Mackenzie," she said again.

⠀⠀⠀I get it, I know my name's Mackenzie.

⠀⠀⠀"Madison, you need to get back to your room. You can't be walking around on your leg like that." A male voice I'd never heard before called out to Maddie.

⠀⠀⠀"Bye, Kenzie." I felt Maddie hug me, carefully avoiding my tubes, and kissed my forehead. A weight lifted off of my bed, meaning Maddie had left me.