seven

⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀maddie

⠀⠀⠀"Mackenzie," I whispered.

⠀⠀⠀"Maddie, I-I think we should go back. You can talk to her another time," offered Levi.

⠀⠀⠀"Mackenzie," I said again.

⠀⠀⠀"Maddie," he whispered.

⠀⠀⠀"Levi, I want to leave," I quietly asked.

⠀⠀⠀"Do you want to say bye first?"

⠀⠀⠀"Levi, now! Please, just get me away from here."

⠀⠀⠀He nodded and quietly rolled me back to my room. He helped me get back into my bed, and left the room.

⠀⠀⠀"Why won't anyone tell me what's going on," I said to Doctor Reynolds, who was performing my morning check-in.

⠀⠀⠀He handed me a pill with a glass of water. "I thought we'd been very clear about what was happening. There haven't been any surprise operations-"

⠀⠀⠀"Not with me, with Mackenzie." I sighed, taking the pill and gulping down the water.

⠀⠀⠀He paused what he was doing, and looked over at me. "Maddie, we were trying to protect you. You already had a lot on your plate; the crash, your injuries and surgeries, Mackenzie's coma. We didn't want to burden you with another problem," he explained.

⠀⠀⠀"But couldn't anyone see that I was even more stressed by not knowing what was happening?" I complained.

⠀⠀⠀"It was for the better. We'll explain what's happening when the time is right, I promise."

⠀⠀⠀I nodded. "When's my next surgery?"

⠀⠀⠀"A few days from now," he said as he checked his calendar.

⠀⠀⠀I nodded again. "Are we done?" I asked.

⠀⠀⠀"it looks like it." Doctor Reynolds stood up and waved goodbye before leaving me alone with my thoughts.

⠀⠀⠀Mackenzie had looked horrible; she had new scars, new cuts, new bruises. The ones that had previously been there looked bigger and deeper, the medical gauze covering them soaked with blood.

⠀⠀⠀Her head was the worst; patches of her hair were missing, there was a huge bandage wrapped around the top, which was soaked in blood, and her face was so scarred, peeled, and bruised that I could barely recognize her. Once again, she was hooked up to IV's and tubes.

⠀⠀⠀All of the injuries had been there previously; they just looked worse to me. The one thing I couldn't explain was her hair; it hadn't been missing last time I saw her. I just wanted someone to tell me what was going on with my sister.