five

⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀maddie

⠀⠀⠀A week passed, and nothing had changed except for the fresh stitches in my cuts. Mackenzie was still in her coma, and I was still in the hospital in preparation for my surgery. Levi came to visit every day, and so did my mom- sometimes she stayed overnight, and sometimes she would spend the day with Mackenzie while Levi kept me company. It had taken a week for my mom to finish the forms and get them sent in to okay my surgeries.

⠀⠀⠀"Maddie, are you ready?" I looked up from the book my mom had bought me to keep me busy to see two nurses, my mom, and Levi standing in my doorway.

⠀⠀⠀My surgery.

⠀⠀⠀"Um, not really- can we wait a few more days?" I asked nervously.

⠀⠀⠀"We need to do it now. Your spine can be permanently damaged if we don't fix it soon," one of them said.

⠀⠀⠀I sighed, closing my book. Not only was I getting a shot to put me under, I was being cut open- I'd probably faint before they could give me the medicine to put me under. "I'm ready," I said quietly.

⠀⠀⠀One nurse pushed my bed down the hall, while the other pushed a machine I was attached too. Levi and my mom jogged along side me, trying to motivate me and make me feel better.

⠀⠀⠀I was pushed into a room with a few doctors and nurses, where my mom and Levi weren't allowed.

⠀⠀⠀"Good luck, I love you," my mom said with a forced smile.

⠀⠀⠀"We'll be here as soon as you wake up," Levi called out.

⠀⠀⠀"Hi, Maddie. I'm Doctor Reynolds. I'll be performing your surgery." A man in blue scrubs informed me with a warm smile.

⠀⠀⠀"Am I getting a shot? To put me under?" I nervously asked.

⠀⠀⠀He laughed. "We'll give you gas to put you under. We'll give you a numbing shot, but you won't feel it because you'll be asleep."

⠀⠀⠀I sighed of relief, losing part of my fear.

⠀⠀⠀"Are you ready?" He asked me.

⠀⠀⠀"I-I think so," I nervously responded.

⠀⠀⠀"We're going to put this mask on you. Count to ten and you'll be asleep, ok?"

⠀⠀⠀I nodded. He set the mask on my face, and he started counting to ten with me. When we got halfway through, I started feeling drowsy. By the time we reached ten I was asleep.

ーflashbackー

⠀⠀⠀"Go Maddie! You can do it!" My dad called out. I was eleven-years old, kicking a soccer ball down the field with seven other girls trying to steal it from my grasp. My mom, dad, and Mackenzie, who was only five, were sitting in the bleachers supporting me. I kicked the ball as hard as I could, and it went flying into the goal as the timer beeped. I fell backwards into the mud, but I didn't care- I had just scored the winning goal.

⠀⠀⠀"Mommy! Daddy! Did you see that?" I yelled out as I ran off of the field and towards the bleachers.

⠀⠀⠀"You did amazing!" My mom exclaimed as she gave me a hug, not caring that I was muddy.

⠀⠀⠀"Maddie, you did great!" My dad picked my up, spinning my in a circle while I laughed. "I think this calls for some ice cream," he offered. Mackenzie and I cheered, and I raced my dad to the car.