eight

⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀maddie

⠀⠀⠀A few days had passed since I'd seen Kenzie, and it was time for my second and, hopefully, final operation.

⠀⠀⠀"Are you ready?" The nurses stood at my door once again.

⠀⠀⠀"Not until someone tells my what's going on," I stubbornly responded.

⠀⠀⠀One of the two nurses sighed, then walked out of the room. A few minutes later she returned with Doctor Reynolds.

⠀⠀⠀"What's the problem?" He questioned.

⠀⠀⠀"Maddie's refusing the surgery unless she knows what's happening with Mackenzie." The nurse shook her head.

⠀⠀⠀"Can we just wheel her in? We don't need her permission, the papers have been signed already," suggested the other nurse.

⠀⠀⠀"I will not make one of my patients go into surgery against their own will," Doctor Reynolds strictly replied. He turned to me, grabbing a chair and sitting down next to my bed.

⠀⠀⠀"Maddie, what's wrong," he asked.

⠀⠀⠀"Does Mackenzie have cancer?" I blurted out. The treatment for cancer was known for causing hair loss, so that's the first thing I thought.

⠀⠀⠀"No, Maddie. It's not that serious. We had to perform surgery on her to try and get the fluids, brain, and skull separated. Coma patients know what's going on outside of their 'trance', and she must have been stressed over the surgery."

⠀⠀⠀"What does being stressed have to do with hair loss? And why wasn't I told she was having a surgery?" I asked.

⠀⠀⠀"Stress over surgeries can cause hair loss. And if we told you, it would cause you to be even more worried about her," he explained.

⠀⠀⠀I sighed, nodding at the nurses to take me into my surgery.

⠀⠀⠀It was pretty much the same; the nurses wheeled me to the room, Levi and my mom beside me the whole time, Doctor Reynolds counting to ten. Soon I was asleep and undergoing surgery.

ーflashbackー

⠀⠀⠀"Mommy, where's Daddy?" I was eleven years old, sitting next to my mom and Kenzie on the couch.

⠀⠀⠀"Daddy had to leave," said my mom.

⠀⠀⠀"For what?" I pressed on.

⠀⠀⠀"Something complicated. He won't be back for a long time, though." She sighed, leaning back.

⠀⠀⠀"I miss him," I said with a sniff.

⠀⠀⠀"I do too, Maddie. I do too."