Chapter 6: The Mask Unveiled

The teapot hovering over Calcifer screeched its warning call for a few seconds before Howl made the notion to remove it. He walked it to the dining table and poured the hot water into two cups, both with an earl grey tea pack. He set the teapot on a towel and sat down across from his old friend, hoping the drink would ease his irritated stomach.

"Tea any good?" Howl asked as he took a sip.

"Very." The man across from Howl set the cup down, his muscular hands clutching around the base. Howl studied his face, watching closely as dusky brown eyes wandered all over the space. His dark hair covered the top of his eyes, but Howl still noticed the distress that lay inside Kenta Itō.

Howl cleared his throat. "We have a spare bedroom down the hall, and you can stay as long as you wish. My home is completely open to you."

Kenta nodded slightly, keeping focus on the cup of tea in front of him. He brushed the scruff that rounded his chin, barely paying any attention to Howl at all. Though they were close at one time, Howl still wished he could peer inside his friend's mind. He wanted to uncover their years of separation - and, if he were being fully honest, he wanted to know what Suliman had done to him.

Howl placed a hand on his arm, Kenta immediately jolting up with goosebumps. "You need to talk about it."

Kenta shook his head and pulled his arm back. "No. No, I'm sorry Howl... I just - I can't. I can't talk about that."

Howl held a crumpled piece of paper toward him. "The letter you sent me isn't enough information. I need to know what she did to you."

Kenta bit his lip and shut his eyes. He took several deep breaths before saying, "That's all you need to know. You were smart enough to get out when you did, and I should have followed. You don't know what we all went through."

"That's why you need to tell me, so I can help."

"That won't do anything." Kenta whispered, his eyes darting rapidly around the room. "She's always watching, always listening. She probably knows I'm here."

"If that woman ever came here, she would regret it. Calcifer and I locked this place up with more spells than I taught my apprentice." Howl debated his next sentence carefully. "You don't have to be frightened of Suliman anymore."

At the sound of her name, Kenta stood up and pushed the chair forward. "Don't say her name. Don't, ever!"

"Okay, okay." Howl slowly stood up, his hands raised. "Obviously, she did some horrible things to you."

"Horrible?" Kenta spat. "Horrible would probably describe how you felt before you escaped the apprenticeship. What I felt, what all the other magicians felt?" Kenta shivered at the memories, his visage hardening and his emotions blocked. "It was hell."

Howl nodded softly. He gestured for Kenta to return to his seat, hoping the tea would be of some help. He placed a spell on the water to increase the calming effects. A normal cup of tea wasn't enough to ease Kenta's nerves without a little bit of magic.

After a few more sips, the spell began to take place. Kenta breathed out in relief and, to Howl's surprise, almost smiled. Maybe he could get a little bit more information out of him now.

"Do you remember when you first reported to Su- to her?" Howl caught himself before speaking her name. Kenta was still unbalanced and full of rage, so certain word choices could break the spell on him.

Kenta bobbed his head to each side. "I remember reporting to the Palace after receiving my letter. King Roland said the other magicians from our apprenticeship were waiting for... her. I walked to a small room, and there was only one chair inside. I was still wary of what I had come there for, so I didn't sit. After a while, I heard laughing and I recognized the voice right away."