Chapter 20: Sunder

As night fell upon the land of Ingary, the Pendragon family did not rest. This was their final chance for a fresh start in a distant land far away from Ingary - a land where they could be as far from Suliman as possible. Sophie, Howl, and their little family sat in the taxicab, on their way to a new life.

Sophie adjusted her hat multiple times, a nervous habit she had in situations such as this. She held a bag full of her belongings over her knees, gulping louder than she had hoped. She didn't know what Suliman was planning, assuming she was in the process of vengeance against Howl and her.

Maybe the driver was paid to bring them to the Palace. Or maybe her henchmen were waiting at the train station or posted at the all exits out of Market Chipping. Whatever she feared, Sophie conjured something in her mind that forced her to question everything and everyone around her. She would never stop wondering who was trustworthy to them and who held their loyalties with Suliman.

Markl sat next to her by the car window. He wore his mage's disguise to appear older, and he continually shook his leg, bouncing up and down repeatedly with no end. Markl had never been this scared in his life. He had seen the amazing yet terrifying things Howl has done, but none of that compared to the anxiety he felt for Suliman. Now that he had seen her powers to manipulate and destroy people like him, that lingering memory frightened him to the core.

Howl, on the other side of Sophie, looked out of the window as the taxicab stopped behind a line of cars. Several posters were plastered against the nearest building and the ones up ahead, and they caught his attention. He gently tapped Sophie's shoulder to look at them as well. After she read them, she gasped and quickly covered her mouth - arrest warrants for Howl and Sophie ordered by Madame Suliman.

Howl wrapped his arm around Sophie and held her close, letting her head rest on his shoulder. He spoke soft words of reassurance, trying to calm her zooming heart. He hoped their false disguises were enough to trick those around them, but he couldn't be sure. In order to keep her safe, Howl was willing to lay down his own life. He knew she would do the same, but he wasn't prepared to lose her the way he had come to terms with his own demise. She was the most important person in his life, and he would die just to keep her safe from Suliman.

In the metal box Howl held, Calcifer sighed and flicked a piece of molten wood to the wall. He felt trapped, suppressed to a small box. It was better this way; he knew that.

And yet he wished he was able to do more.

Calcifer felt the restrictions of his demon form, unable to do something worthy or heroic. He rested his arms on the stick pile that kept him alive, and through the multitude of holes at the top, he stared with longing eyes at the freedom that lay beyond his cage.

Kenta and Gwenda sat in the taxicab across from the camouflaged Pendragon family. They were separated to each end of the taxicab by the Witch of the Wastes holding Heen. Gwenda crinkled her nose a few times, wondering if it was just the old hag next to her or there being far too many people crammed together in a small space - she felt severely uncomfortable in such claustrophobic situations.

Kenta and Gwenda caught eyes for a brief moment and immediately turned away from each other. They were both unsure of how they would bear spending every waking moment together. Gwenda still loathed magic, and Kenta was a full-fledged wizard. She knew she would have to deal with random spells popping up or quite possibly little annoying tricks to anger her. Whether she wanted to or not, she knew that eventually she would have to get used to him for the sake of Lona.

Kenta rested his chin on his palm, staring at the bustle of cars in the nighttime. When he remembered Lona's name, he remembered everything he loved about her. He also relived the pain of leaving her for Suliman. The way Howl spoke about Sophie was the same feeling. Kenta would travel from far-off lands to the depths of the Kingsbury Palace if he knew she was there.