Chapter 12: Saved by the Apprentice

Calcifer rested in his normal fireplace, slowly dying of boredom. Heen lay on the couch, his eyes fluttering and shutting tightly as if he were having a nightmare. After Calcifer returned from speaking with Sophie, he immediately went to Howl with her whereabouts. When he found out Suliman held her captive inside of the Palace, Howl became extremely hostile. He hadn't let his emotions consume him as he did earlier, but he didn't take the situation lightly.

Howl and Kenta left for the Kingsbury Palace immediately after Calcifer finished explaining Sophie's predicament. When Howl asked why Suliman had taken Sophie in the first place, Calcifer said she wanted leverage over him.

Calcifer hated lying to Howl - again - especially knowing that this secret wedding would tear him to pieces the more he was in the dark about it. He understood why Sophie begged him to not tell Howl; it just hurt watching Howl have so much hope.

Calcifer felt his fire on the decline as the ashen logs crumbled underneath his flames. He reached for the log holder, but it was empty. Calcifer sighed. He knew he wouldn't burn out; if he could survive a dousing of water, he could survive most anything.

He only wished he could do more to assist his friends. From the confines of his fireplace, his options were limited. It was a moment like this that he loathed his existence as a fire demon. He wanted something more than this.

Markl rushed down the staircase and skipped the last two steps, jumping on the sturdy wood floorboard. The boy laughed as Calcifer rolled his eyes. Markl was still young and reckless. Even though he knew Sophie was missing, he didn't fully understand the strain of the situation.

Calcifer scoffed as Markl jumped toward the living room. "Markl, would you mind going outside to get a couple logs? My fire is dying."

"In a minute. I'm busy." With every jump, Markl waved his wand to his feet in order to make his jumps higher.

"No you're not." Calcifer said, with slight aggravation. "You're just messing around."

Markl took another leap and landed atop the coffee table, instantly waking Heen up. The small dog wheezed in and out at a fast pace, darting his agitated eyes between Calcifer and Markl.

Calcifer let out an irritated groan. "You're going to break something if you keep jumping like that."

"No I won't." Markl said, preparing to leap again.

"Yes you will."

"No I won't."

"Yes, you will." Calcifer stressed out his words and gritted his teeth as the floorboards creaked and the dust floated from the creases.

"No I–"

"Will you just listen to me for once?" Markl froze when Calcifer raised his voice at him, his flames sparking out radically in all directions. Calcifer breathed heavily, his eyes narrowing at the young boy. His flames turned from a light orange to a fuming red.

Markl straightened his legs and tilted his head. It was rare for Calcifer to act this way. Not even the silly pranks Markl pulled on him couldn't get him this furious. He usually held his anger – truthfully, nothing seemed to anger him to this point.

Markl dropped his head and twisted the heel of his foot on the floor, his voice somber and low. "I'm sorry."

Calcifer closed his eyes. "No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have shouted like that." He knew he scared the boy, but he had been meaning to have this conversation for a while now.

"Sit down, Markl." He did as he was told and sat next to Heen, running his fingers down the dog's trembling back. Though the poor dog had calmed down, he was still wary of Markl and his unnerving dream.