Chapter 11: Clockwork

The hands on the grandfather clock moved slower than real time, at least in Sophie's head. The ticks hit harder each time, cracking her heart a bit further as the strength she once had gradually diminished.

Sophie turned to the mirror before her, trembling at her reflection. It wasn't the bags under her eyes from lack of sleep or the unkempt mess of hair that frightened her, but the chaste, extravagant wedding dress that Suliman displayed.

"My, my, won't you look beautiful in this?" Suliman said. Sophie frowned at her taunting behavior. She had awoken to a loud crowd of hairstylists, makeup artists, tailors, and of course Suliman's henchman allowing them entrance. She ordered the professionals to prepare Sophie with haste. She wanted this wedding finalized before anyone had the chance to stop it.

Suliman held Sophie's chin, staring down at her. "You will be a perfect bride."

Sophie shoved her arm away and walked toward the glass doors. Her heart raced after hearing the word 'bride', pounding against her ribcage with great force. She hardly envisioned a wedding with Howl – now she was living one with Justin.

"You'll have to accept it by now, dear." Suliman walked toward Sophie and rested her hands on her shoulders. "The clock's ticking and it doesn't seem to be in your favor."

Sophie lowered her shoulders to break away from Suliman's touch. She wouldn't allow her to mess with her mind. "I've already agreed to this marriage. I've given up my life to do your bidding. Why must you continue to taunt me?"

Suliman wore a crooked smile and cupped Sophie's cheek with one hand. "I just enjoy winning, that's all."

Sophie let out a long exhale. She knew exactly what she was getting into. She knew that Howl's safety was the most important – the constant jabs from Suliman weren't making the situation any better, though.

Suliman spoke to the group of people chatting behind her. "You all have until midday to make her beautiful." She turned back, lowering her chin as her eyes stayed locked on Sophie's. "Transform her into the girl everyone either wishes to be, or wishes to have."

. ❀ 。• * ₊ ° 。❀ ° 。

On the first floor of the Palace, three young women worked in the bustling kitchen. They stood in a row along the counter, each with a fat piece of dough in their grips. While the chefs prepared the menu for the upcoming royal wedding feast, these women pounded their hands into the firm dough, kneading constantly until it kept its shape.

All three were more than aware of the truth behind this wedding. It paid to be the maids of Kingsbury's Royal Palace, as they were like spies for the mainstream gossip.

"Poor girl." One of them said, "I wouldn't know what I would do if Madame Suliman set me up like that."

"Don't say her name!" Another whispered. "She has eyes and ears all over this place. Do you want to get in trouble?"

"No, but it's the truth. She's so brave to go through with it for the man she really loves."

The two women looked over to the third, who quietly smashed the dough against the counter with fuming vigor. She kept her concentration on work rather than their small talk, especially if they were going to talk about this ridiculous wedding.

"Gwenda, are you okay?" The woman looked up at the sound of her name, her coworkers staring at her with worry. "You look a little out of it."

"Oh, I'm fine, Beth." Gwenda said, returning to the dough. "Don't worry about me."

"Are you sure?" Beth placed one hand on the counter and the other on Gwenda's shoulder. "We know you had feelings for the Prince. Is that what's making you upset?"