Chapter 19: Surprises Around Every Corner

"I told you from the beginning that she was bad news."

Sophie rolled her eyes after the fifth time Kenta so casually mentioned how he warned her of Suliman. Though they were finally secure in the confines of Howl's castle, she was, unfortunately, unable to escape Kenta's commentary. It wasn't that she was oblivious to the monster Suliman was; she was just so far in that getting out seemed harder and harder the more she tried.

"Yes, Kenta." Sophie said with an exhausted sigh. "Thank you again, for rubbing it in."

He shrugged. "I can keep going with this."

Sophie turned to him abruptly and gritted her teeth aggressively. "I'd rather you not."

Kenta raised his eyebrows and smiled in her direction. "I told you so."

Sophie screeched with anger as she held tight fists at her side. She hated being told that she was wrong or made a mistake. She knew her actions weren't the best for that situation, but what else was she to do? She had been fooled for so long and manipulated by so many people that she was blindsided by wanting to give everyone happiness. Up until now, she thought everyone could be happy all at once.

People pleasing had become a real chore, and she ended up the one mostly disappointed in the end every time.

"Howl." Sophie crossed her arms and looked to Howl, who held a box half full of his numerous spell books, and was continuing to place the remainder in a way that would fit them all perfectly. "Would you please tell your dear friend that I don't need to be told a million times that he was right?"

Howl held a rather large spell book and waved his hand over the cover, shrinking it until it appeared as a tiny booklet in his palm. He placed it on a stack of other miniscule books before looking up at Sophie. As mad as she was, Howl was equally as stressed.

He was completely exhausted. "Right now, I would appreciate it if both of you would stop bickering and help us pack."

Sophie lowered her gaze and nodded. Once they had returned to the castle, it was mostly a unanimous decision that they weren't safe in Market Chipping anymore, or rather Ingary. While it was a frightening thought to consider leaving the only home they all had known, everyone soon realized it was for the best.

Markl, Howl, and the Witch were all in the process of packing their things and placing them in boxes. The bedrooms – except for Markl's – were all neatly packed and labeled. Kenta and Sophie had started arranging the silverware and kitchen items until Sophie had grown tired of his constant reminder that he was much more competent at handling situations involving Suliman.

"You're right. I'm sorry, sweetie." Sophie gave him a light kiss before returning to work. Howl had neatly stacked all of his spell books into one box, with room for more if need be. He taught Markl how to shrink objects in order to create more space, and the boy was tackling his disastrous mess of a room. They broke access to the castle in the Wastes, so moving would have to be done the old-fashioned way.

The Witch of the Wastes spent most of the time tending to others, since she was stripped of any magic that could assist. She retrieved firewood for Calcifer, food and water for Heen, cleared out her bedroom of items to be packed, and let the others use their powers to do the rest. She always looked back on her time as a powerful witch, able to manipulate and distort things at her command. She reminisced about those thrilling days where people loved and feared her for her abilities.

She smiled as Heen wagged his fanatical tail upon receiving a fresh bowl of water. She stroked his head softly. "Nice doggie."

She sat on the couch, taking a cigarette from her pocket and lighting it. Now that she had found a family who loved her even without her powers, fear wasn't needed to win them over. They loved her regardless of magic.