Chapter 17: Consequence

Sophie awoke to a stream of morning light flooding through the open Gothic window. She peered open one eye, seeing a blurry vision of the Wastes' beauty. Clouds of fog covered the land below, but the highest peak of the Wastes was still visible. She smiled and shut her eyes. Her mind travelled back to the night before, reliving every single, wonderful moment.

Sophie turned to her side, a sleeping man next to her. She smiled wide and ran her fingers up and down his bare arm. He shivered slightly and instinctively turned toward her, still asleep. Sophie snuggled close, their bodies inches away from each other. She lightly brushed his dark hair away, using her fingers to comb through the knots and greasy strands. She'd push the hairs back and then they would fall over his face once again, so she repeated the process. She was so fixated by him.

"Howl." Sophie whispered softly. "Howl, it's morning."

Howl turned his head left and right, stretching his arms up toward the head of the bed. He groaned loudly and ended with a slow yawn. He blinked lightly before completely opening his eyes, only to smile at the woman before him.

"Good morning, my lovely." Howl said. He sat up on his arm and his other hand grazed Sophie's chin. He pulled her close to him and encompassed her lips with his. Their kiss was graceful and gentle, yet they could still feel the sensations of their deep intimacy.

He pulled away and ran the back of his fingers alongside her cheek; he couldn't contain his smile. "You're beautiful, you know that?"

Sophie lowered her gaze, but she couldn't hide that silly blush whenever Howl spoke such romanticism. Howl lifted her chin, her eyes following until they locked onto his. "I love you, Sophie."

"I love you, too, Howl." They shared another kiss, neither willing to pull away for quite some time. Just having an electric connection to one another, feeling truly interwoven through a simple act of love, was all they desired.

When they parted, their breaths were heavy, air filling their lungs to the brim followed by long, full exhales. Howl pushed himself upward and departed from the warmth of the bed. He found his attire lying to the side of the bed, thrown with rashness the night before. Sophie raised her eyebrows as she ogled Howl dressing himself. After he zipped and buttoned his pants together, he noticed her watchful eyes.

Howl smirked. "Does someone miss me already?"

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Maybe a little."

"Oh, just a little?" Howl pressed his fists into the mattress as he leaned closer to Sophie, who held the covers over her bare chest. He dropped his gaze for a short moment, his mind trailing to satisfy his inner temptations. Sophie lightly held his cheek, and Howl naturally rested his chin in her hand. As he returned eye contact, leaning forward for another kiss, the door sprung open.

The door swung and hit the back wall with a thud. The startled pair turned to their visitors, fear quickly returning back to Sophie. Howl frowned and creased his eyebrows, ready to fight if need be. Sophie breathed heavily as four armed guards walked in a rigid formation and made a path for their real threat – Madame Suliman.

The poised sorceress walked in style, standing tall and fierce in a glistening purple gown. No matter how many times Sophie was in the presence of this woman, she always wore a remarkable and magnificent outfit.

Her vicious eyes stung Sophie as the poor girl covered herself further, blindly hoping Suliman was oblivious to their actions during the night. She knew all too well, however, that nothing evaded the erudite mind of a Royal Sorceress - especially in her own castle.

She stood elevated, dominating as she soaked in the image of Howl half-dressed and Sophie covering her exposed body. She locked her eyes on Sophie, though the young girl could not even look up from the bed. Her body shivered in horror, which pleased Suliman. Though Sophie held immense strength, especially for a minor human, Suliman was far too familiar with her weaknesses.